View Thread

Print Thread
What does 'FL' mean?
davebarry7
In researching a coastguard ancestor, I found him listed as 'SB' - which means 'Seamen Boatman', and separately as 'FL', but I can't find reference to what the latter means. Anyone know?
Many thanks.
Dave

crimea1854
Dave

I'd suggest that it means 'Fleet List' i.e. still eligible to serve in the Royal Navy as opposed to those men on the 'Civilian List'. The later Ship's Establishment Book separate the two classes of men.

Martin

davebarry7
Martin,
Thanks for the information, which makes sense - he had transferred from the RN when he started a family.
Although he served as a coastguard at Ballycastle in Mayo 1867-1884, his record shows him always attached to ships in that period, namely
Frederick William, Trafalgar, mostly Valiant, then Rupert. From what you say, would that mean he was land-based but with the RN having the option to call him aboard? Or was ship attachment just a formality? Or indeed, would he have been seabound mostly?
Thanks again
Dave

crimea1854
Dave

From the names of the ships quoted, I think you may find that he was working at land based CG Stations. These particular vessels are covered by the Ship's Establishment Books in the ADM 175 series. Although most are earlier than the dates you quote, I would suggest having a look at these - they can be downloaded for free from the National Archives website, and are normally name indexed at the back - to see if you can find your man. If he's not there then it possible he was one of the standing crew.

The vessels you quote were all HQ ships assigned to a CG District, although the men at the land based CG Stations were expected to go on training cruises in them, and in the event of a national crisis the various CG Ships would form an 'Inshore Squadron' to defend the Country.

Martin

davebarry7
Martin,
I'll look into that as you suggest. What encyclopaedic knowledge you have - what you say here also fits well with what I've found so far.
Thanks
Dave

Merged on 27/10/2015 21:46:22:
Martin,
Found him in several books 1867-76 (last one available), confirming him as shorebound since leaving Portsmouth for his native country and explaining something else to me.
Many, many thanks for your help.
Dave
Edited by davebarry7 on 27/10/2015 21:46

Jump to Forum: