Coastguard Cutter

The Coastguard Cutter 2.22

-> Tony on September 02 2017
E120. Crimea call-up Naval Reservists.

An order was received on Saturday morning by the Commander of the Coastguard in Galway, calling upon all men under 50 years of age, to hold themselves in readiness to join the Navy at a moments notice. A similar order has also been addressed to the Revenue Cutter 'Amphitrite'.
Reference; The Times 22nd.April 1854.

E123. "Dash ashore"

The Dash of Weymouth, from Sligo to Liverpool, Mace master, laden with butter, was cast ashore about 3 o'clock on Sunday morning, the cargo and vessel damaged, 8 souls have perished, 3 of whom are sons of the Coastguard who chanced to be on board at the time. The captain was preserved by coming ashore on hour before the hurricane, and could not return on board afterwards. The vessel is a schooner about 100 tons burthen, named Dash of Weymouth, and bound from Sligo to London. The cargo and hull are as yet safe. Two of the hands were found clinging to and entwined with the shrouds and died, not (it is supposed) by drowning, but of cold and fatigue - of the other 6, no traces as yet have been found, though the vessel is ashore on a beach where persons wade as far as her on foot, at low tide.
Sufficient praise cannot be given to Mr.Cary, Chief Officer of the Coastguard for his unwearied exertions for the preservation of the hull and cargo. (Galway Free Press)
Reference; Evening Freeman Tuesday 10th.December 1833.

E124. Smuggling.

Our readers are already aware of a smuggling transaction in this port, on which occasion those embarked in this clandestine pursuit had the temerity - nay, the audacity to bring their vessel containing nearly a cargo of smuggled tobacco into our very quays, and there discharged her before the act was discovered. Little time however, elapsed between the discovery, when all the officers of Customs and the Water-guards along the coast were most active and diligent in their search, by which they succeeded in seizing a great portion of the tobacco, which had been conveyed a distance into the interior of the country. Subsequently prosecutions took place against some parties concerned in the transaction, when the captain of the vessel and others were convicted. James Kearney Esq. Comtroller of Customs, having received information against a man named Owen Kelly, a smuggler of great notoriety, repaired to Loughrea on Wednesday last, at the hour of 3, in the mail, and before 6 o'clock on the same evening succeeded in arresting owen Kelly in that town, together with another man of the name of Patrick Kelly, both charged as being deeply concerned in the above smuggling affair, and had them conveyed to Galway at 10 o'clock that night, by the day coach, and immediately afterwards lodged in the town gaol.
(Connaught Journal)
Reference; Evening Freeman Saturday 27th.July 1833.

G130. Seizure of Tobacco.

On Saturday evening Lieutenant Charleson, of the Water Guard station belonging to Cork having received information that the schooner ‘Abet’ of Dartmouth, 87 tons register. Thomas Tipper, Commander, with a crew of three men, apparently loaded with culm, contained a quantity of tobacco in bales, boarded her at Blackrock and found that the information was correct. The number of bales is not known, but, from the statement of the crew, it is supposed to be between 380 and 400 . She was cleared out at Neath with a cargo of culm for Cork. The captain and crew have been lodged in gaol. (Cork Chronicle)
Reference; Morning Register Wednesday 17th.September 1834.

G148. Fortunate escape from Drowning.

On Wednesday morning, about 11 o’clock, a large stone boat was passing along the southern extremity of the Hill of Howth. When it arrived opposite to Drumleek, the beautiful residence of William M’Dougall Esq. it was observed by one of the Coast Guard to be in a sinking state. With the assistance of some of Mr. Yeo’s and Mr. M’Dougall’s men a boat was launched and put off to the assistance of the crew, which consisted of two men. By using the greatest exertions the boat reached them in time, as the vessel had sunk and they were only saved by clinging to the mast, which remained above water. The two poor fellows were quite insensible when picked up,but having been conveyed up the cliffs to Mr. M’Dougall’s residence, every remedy was resorted to for their recovery, which was fortunately attended with success. The boat still remains in the same place. Reference; Saunder’s News Letter Monday 19th.May 1851.


In his report to the Treasury Department, Dombrain recommended the construction of a “watch and boathouse” on the great majority of the stations. These were built in large numbers during the 1820s to a standard plan with some local variations in proportions. Architecturally the watch houses resemble buildings from an older period and they are often mistakenly dated to the late 18th.century. It may be that they were based on designs that had been introduced by the Customs some years previously. The classic watch house was a two-storey, rectangular block with half-hipped roof, split-stone rubble construction, roughcast and whitewashed, it was built on the very edge of the shore a foot or two above storm tide level with a boat slip projecting from the front. Their measurements vary from station to station, but most were about 40ft. long by 20ft. wide and by 16ft. high. The building was divided into a number of functioning areas. The large front room on the ground floor, with twin doors which opened on to a slipway, housed the boats and their equipment. Above this was the watch room with a canted bow window overlooking the sea and where the crew’s arms were stored. Behind these rooms were an office and the living quarters for the chief officer and family. Some watch houses were too small to provide living quarters for the officer who then dwelt in a separate house. Many of these watch houses built in the 1820s survive in one form or another around the coast. Some are now long neglected as their very isolation makes them lonely places to dwell, a factor that distressed the coastguard men and in particular their wives. Some have been sensitively adapted as modern dwellings while others have been altered out of all recognition.

G202. Drowning.

On Thursday last one of the Coastguards of Blackwater station, was sent into this town on duty, and returning he took the strand way from Curracloe. He had to cross a stream which was partially frozen over, and unfortunately no assistance being near, he fell and remained in that distressing state amid all the inclemency of exposure to a N.E. wind and sleet showers till near 8 o’clock next morning, when he was found barely with life. He still survives, but little hope entertained of his recovery. His name is Gillispie, and has ever been distinguished for orderly and upright conduct. All the moneys and orders entrusted to his charge were found safe in his pocket. (Wexford Chronicle)
Reference; Saunders News-Letter Saturday 13th.February 1841.

LX239. Living survivor of Trafalgar. 1877. (abstract)
One of the few remaining survivors of Trafalgar, John Haswell, late a Commissioned Boatman in the Coastguard, died on the 15th. ult. at Ballyheigue, in the county of Kerry. Deceased entered the Navy in 1803 at Chatham. Later on active service on board the the ‘Revenge’ he was present at Trafalgar. Also, in action at the expedition to Flushing and Walcheran, the destruction of the French Fleet in Basque Roads, at the siege of Cadiz and the blockading of Venice. He also served in the American squadron, and was finally paid off at Chatham in 1817. After some years spent in the merchant and transport service he joined the Revenue Cruisers, afterwards entering the Coastguard, and received an injury to his right hand in an affray with smugglers during the execution of his duty at Lulworth Station, Dorset. He served his country in the naval and revenue service for upwards of 40 years. He failed to get a medal for Trafalgar. In consequence of his late application his claim was not admitted. He was interred on Tuesday the 18th.ult, in Ballyheigue Churchyard. The Coastguard from the neighbouring station decorated his coffin with the flag under which he had served for the greater part of his life.
Reference; The Times, London. 4 October 1877.

K174. Custom House, Dublin. 18 October 1820.

Sir. I am directed by the Commissioners of his Majesty’s Customs to acquaint you that they have received a letter from the Comptroller General of the Preventive Water guard stating that a large smuggling cutter was prevented from landing her cargo at Loughshinney at 1 a.m. on the 13th inst. by the Preventive crew at Skerries and when last seen was standing to the Northward. I have the honour to be your humble servant. C.J. Maclean.
To Rear Admiral Sir John Rowley. Bt. KCB.

Reference; Custom and Excise Admin Letters. Nat.Archives, Dublin.

In Coastguard Cutter -  0 Comments - 60880 Reads - Print    

This news item has been tagged



No Comments have been Posted.

Post Comment

Please Login to Post a Comment.