View Thread

Print Thread
James Jordan
ElaineMcGlynn
Hi there, I am trying to find any information on James Jordan who is my great great great grandfather. His daughter (Mary Ann Jordan) was married in 1854 in Ballyheigue, Kerry. On her marriage certificate it states her father as being a coastguard, I am guessing he was a coastguard in Ballyheigue.

Hopefully someone can help.

Many thanks

Elaine McGlynn

crimea1854
Elaine welcome to the Forum.

I have compiled the following on your man.

First entered the navy as a Landsman on HMS Gloucester on 4 Nov 1824, remaining on her until 22 Jan 1826. He then served on the following: (source ADM 29/50/436)
HMS Warspite as an Ordinary Seaman from 23 Jan 1826 to 31 Oct 1828, back to Gloucester 22 Nov 1828 - 31 March 1831 (Ord and Able Seaman) and finally HMS Donegal 14 April 1831 - 7 July 1834 - AB.

From Donegal he was nominated to the CG Service with a first posting to Thorney on 30 Aug 1834 (ADM 175/6 pdf 281), it was then:
18 April 1835 Freshwater, Isle of Wight (ADM 175/6 313)
25 March 1836 to Ballyheige (ADM 175/19 180)
5 Oct 1859 to Cashen River where he was pension on 31 May 1862 (ADM 175/19 182).

While at Ballyheige he was issued with a Merchant Seamans Ticket (No.99,138) on which he gave his place of birth as Wodensborough (?), Kent, Sept 1805. He is described as 5' 6 1/4'', hair dark brown, fresh complexion with hazel eyes.

The National Archive Cat. has a James Jordan entering the Greenwich Hospital School in 1812 aged 6, this may or may not be your man, but if you can might it be worth following up.

Hope this helps.

Martin
Edited by crimea1854 on 25/10/2015 15:32

ElaineMcGlynn
Hi Martin,

my goodness that is amazing. thank you so much, I will pass it on to James' descendants, they will be thrilled. Always wondered how it came to be that my great great grandmother Mary Ann (his daughter) was born on the Isle of Wight, now I know.

Kindest regards

Elaine x

David Allen
I think you may have solved a mystery that has been bugging me for some time. My great grandmother, Charlotte Hall (nee Jordan) was born in Ballyheigue in 1841. She was married in Rochester, Kent in 1863 and her marriage certificate states that her father was James Jordan, Custom House Officer. I can't find him in the 1871 census (possibly still in Ireland?) but he is in the 1881 census living in the same area as Charlotte. He has a daughter living with him - Eliza Lee, born in Ireland around 1852. His birthplace is stated as "Wodensbury, Kent"; I presume this is actually Woodesborough, a village in East Kent. Occupation is given as Pensioner (Greenwich).

I could never understand how James would have beeb born in Kent, had children born in Ireland, but then died in Kent, but this seems to clear up the mystery!

I have seen a marraige record for James: In 1832 he was married to Hannah Elgar, in Tilmanstone, Kent.

I have also seen a photo of a baptism record for James Jordan - baptised June 28th 1807, son of Thomas and Ann, but am unsure what area the register covers (I have asked the person who posted it on Ancestry if he could let me know).

Jump to Forum: