View Thread

Print Thread
1811 to 1847
Keatnev
I am seeking information about John Keating who was a chief officer at Ballynacounty, Co Wexford. John Joined the service at Lulworth in 1811 aged just 15. He was then transferred to Tower 38 (Rye) , Sussex in 1834, Haddocks (Rye) 1837 He was married in Brighton in 1829 he married Mary Matilda Robertson and had a Daughter Catherine.
He was then transferred to the Isle of Arran North (Galway) in 1838 where in 1940 he had a son James. He was then transferred to Ardmore in April 1840 and Helwick Head (Ballynacounty) in December 1840, Co Wexford where he served as a Chief Boatman. He died on 8th June 1947 aged just 50.

I seeking any further details about John's service with the Coast Guard. Details of any actions that he may have seen whilest at any of these stations. I do have a list of the exact dates he was on which station so I can confirm if he was a part of the crew or not at the time.

Also details about his death. Also about any further children that he had. He was in Galway for along time so there could be a number of children born who died as children. I assume that when off duty he lived in a Coast Guard Cottage on the Isle of Aran.

I am also seeking any information about his birth. I know he was born in 1796 at Ballyeske, Wexford, but who were his parents, brothers and sisters. The family were Catholic so I would have expected him to have been Christened at birth and confirmed in 1807.
Edited by Keatnev on 27/12/2007 20:58

Jump to Forum: