View Thread

Print Thread
Coastguard Search
Rosie48
Hello.
I am trying to track down a James Barry who was a coastguard according to the witness signature at his son's wedding in Ballywalter in 1900. He was a navy pensioner in the 1891 census which showed him staying in Glasgow with his son Albert and daughter Kate.

I would be grateful for any help in tracking down this ellusive man.

Thanks in anticipation.

Patsy

crimea1854
Patsy

If you know his age and place of birth I would look at the seamans records on the National Archives website (ADM 188).

Martin

davebarry7
Patsy,
He sounds very much like the James Barry I'm trying to track. I'm grandson of Albert Barry, who lived in Glasgow but also sometime lived in Ballywalter, where he married Elizabeth Fegan, in 1900.
Those data tally with some of yours.
One of my sisters has old James Barry papers somewhere that we're trying to trace. At this stage, does the name Elizabeth Fegan appear on the marriage certificate you mention?
Odd thing is that there is no trace of Al;bert Barry in the 1891 census for Scotland…..

Dave

Merged on 10/03/2014 20:50:16:
To add to Patsy's initial message. I've now found James Barry in the 1891 census (he's not in the ScotlandsPeople 1891 census database). I now have info on his final years and who his parents were.
D
Edited by davebarry7 on 10/03/2014 20:50

Rosie48
Sorry for the delay in replying to your message which is really quite exciting.

I am the daughter of George Barry who was born in Glasgow and married Catherine Mackie. They lived in Partick in Glasgow. Elizabeth Fegan was my grandmother although I never met her.

I will check all my records but I think we might have a common factor between my records and yours. Will be back in touch as soon as I can.
Patsy

Jump to Forum: