View Thread

Print Thread
Liuet Edward J Morris RN
Jim Molohan
Does anyone have any info on Lt Edward J Morris. I think he was born in Glasgow but can't remember where I found this info. He served at Ryde IOW between c1829 & July 1836 when he was posted to Seafield, near Miltown Malbay, Co Clare, where he retired to the Commanders list in Oct 1860. i have failed to trace him before c1829. I also cannot find any record of him after he retired and left Seafield. He married Martha Stephenson in St Michael's C of I, Limerick in April 1838. He may have been previously married as an Edward J Morris from Miltown Malbay qualified as a surgeon in the RCSI in Dublin in 1851. The is man was possibly a son of Lieut Morris. I have failed to find a record of Lt Morris's death or that of his wife. It is possible that he returned to England or Scotland after he retired.

crimea1854
Hi Jim

Lt. (then Commander) Morriss - note spelling - died 7th August 1870 in Croydon, buried Christ Chruch, Sumner Road 10 Aug 1870, left a widow, Martha. At the time of his death he was living in Sumner House, Sumner Road, Croydon. Martha was buried in the same churchyard 3rd August 1872.

For his service before entering the CG you need to consult O'Byrne's Naval Biographical Dictionary. He was awarded a Naval General Service Medal for the bombardment of Algiers.

I don't know if you have any further details, but the National Archives do hold his Lieut. Passing Certificate, which does have baptism details attached. This is not available online, but can be ordered; the Ref. is ADM 107/45 pages 38-41 & ADM 6/111 page 122.

Martin

PS: this link is to a transcript of his entry in O'Byrne : https://en.wikiso...dward_John
Edited by crimea1854 on 20/12/2019 08:40

Jim Molohan
Very many thanks for all that valuable info Martin. You have answered all my questions!. I never thought of searching for him under 'Morriss', all the references which I had to him used the spelling 'Morris'. I see that he was aged 76 when he died. For 25 years he lived at Tromra Lodge, Kilmurry Ibrickan, Co Clare, as a tenant of Admiral Sir Burton Macnamara who lived at Tromra House across the road. Tromra Lodge was shown on the 1842 OS map as a Coastguard Station complete with signal staff. By 1855 the Coastguard Station itself was in Quilty village but its operational base was always at Seafield. A new CG station was built at Seafield in the early 1870s. For a short period there were two CG stations in the area, one of which was apparently the old signal tower on Mutton Island but this was closed in 1824. I was born a stones throw from Tromra Lodge and am putting the finishing touches to an article on it and on Tromra House and their occupants which will be published next year in 'The Other Clare', a local history magazine, so your info is very timely. i would like to acknowledge your input in the article if you would let me have your name. I can also email you a draft of the article if you wish.
Many thanks again & best regards
Jim

Jump to Forum: