View Thread

Print Thread
Crohy Head Coast Guard Station
Crohy
Hi

I am interested in finding out the Crohy Head CG station in west Donegal. Crohy is just to the south of Burtonport so it would probably have been under the command of that station. I did not know it was a CG station until i seen it on the Griffths Valuation map (1857) where it shows that it also had a signal staff where the present WW2 lookout building is.

It appears to have been a private dwelling in 1835 and was no longer in use by 1901. It was a An Oige youth hostel until a number of years ago.

I got a list of children born to CG families between 1867 and 1871 from this site.

Would anybody have any info or ideas? - I am trying to download ADM 175/19 but having problems at the moment.

Regards

Hugh Boyle

crimea1854
Hugh

If you are still having problems downloading ADM 175/19, I have this saved on my computer, and am more than happy to look-up any information for you. Hopefully the problem has been resolved.

Regards

Martin

Crohy
Hi Martin

Thanks for your kind offer.

I did get ADM 175/19 down after all but it had no mention of Crohy. However I did get it in ADM 175/16 (Croie Head) and it appears it operated from 1828 until 1831. This may be why it not labelled on the 1835 OS.

Croie Head also appears on ADM 175/17 but is crossed out and replaced with Portnoo.

As my previous post states that the coast guard station appears on the Griffiths Valuation Maps and the list of CG births shows that Crohy station must have used again in the mid 1860s to at least the early 1870s.

Do you know where i could get CG details for the Donegal area post 1862?

Any help would be much appreciated

regards

Hugh

crimea1854
Hugh

In the early 1860's Ireland was split into two administrative districts - Kingstown & Limerick. At the same time the CG Establishment Books, which you have consulted to date, were changed to Ships Establishment Books, where the CG Stations in each of the above two districts appear under the the name of the ship.

Donegal falls within Limerick District, so you could start with ADM 175/21 and then try the various Ships EB in ADM 175/52-55. These ships were changed quite frequently, hence the list of names.

These will take you up to 1876. After this date if you want the details of an individuals service you have to consult their service record in ADM 188.

Regards

Martin

Crohy house
Hi Hugh and Martin,

I am interested in any information on this former coastguard station. I now live in it. I pick up lots of broken cups, plates and clay pipes while I am gardening. The dishes look English.

I found a map in Irish Buildings and it looks as though the property had a lot of out buildings in 1835. Would they be for the Coastguard employees, boats or animals?

Jump to Forum: