View Thread

Print Thread
Live Bait Squadron
James1977
HI. I have recently being reading of the "live Bait Squadron" a group of three old Navy cruisers that were sunk at the start of WW1. The were given the nickname due to the age of the vessels and the fact that many of their crew were older men that had returned to the colours at the outbreak of WW1.

The majority of the crews of HMS Aboukir, Cressy and Hogue were Coast Guard men and I was wondering if any were from Ireland. Perhaps a member of this forum would have a idea how or if this could be checked.

Thanks

crimea1854
Hi James

I'm afraid what I'm about to suggest would be a little tedious but might answer your question. The following website has a casualty list of those killed together with the survivors , in some instances identifying the CG men:

http://www.naval-...09Sept.htm

From this you should then visit the National Archives website and enter the man's service number this should return details such as his date and place of birth, or if you have a subscription to Ancestry you could view his actual service record in full.

Best I can offer I'm afraid.

Martin
Edited by crimea1854 on 07/05/2016 21:44

James1977
HI Martin, Thanks for your reply. I was looking at that as a option alright, tedious but doable. Will his service record show his CG service ? Thanks again.

crimea1854
Yes, the records normally show CG service together with the stations served at and rate.

Martin

James1977
Thanks Martin. If I don't find a quicker method Ill look at that option. It would be a worthwhile task to look at how many had served in Ireland.

Jump to Forum: