View Thread

Print Thread
Coastguard George Jones Youghal Queenstown/Cobh
Bangkok
My ggrandmother Annabella Jones was born at Youghal coastguard station in 1861, baptised 20/3/1861 at St. Mary's, Queenstown. Her father George Jones was a coastguard at Youghal. George's father Samuel Jones was also a coastguard. George married Ellen McKellar in St. Mary's Queenstown on 3/6/1860. Her father Samuel McKellar was Captain on the 'Robert Bruce'.
There is an account of the ship 'Erins Hope' attempting to land 60 armed men to help with the Fenian Rising in 1867. The ship was spotted by coastguard George Jones from the station at Helvic Point and he raised the alarm. The ship returned to America. Is this George Jones the same one?
Annabella Jones married James McClaughlin, coastguard, at Kilkeel in 1877. The marriage was witnessed by George Jones. Their first three children were born in Leestone coastguard station. James McClaughlin served on the HMS Topaz 9/10/1877 to 1/7/1878 mainly on the northeast coast of Ireland. He then served on the HMS Bellisle from 2/7/1878 to 11/9/1892 when he retired.

Can anybody give me more information on any of the aforementioned? With so much involvement in the coastguard service I would think there are records of them somewhere.

Rgds
Jim

Jump to Forum: