View Thread

Print Thread
William Hore
carolanndrew
My Great Great Grandfather William Hore was named as a Coastguard on his son's (Daniel Walker Hore) marriage certificate. The marriage took place in the parish church of Limehouse, London on 25 July 1848. I have traced Daniel's baptism record of 1824 which took place at St John's Church, Great Clacton, Essex when William was named as a mariner. William's wife's name was Susannah (nee Walker).

I would like to find out where William was born or baptised but have been unable to do so. Perhaps there are some coastguard or mariners' records that might help?

crimea1854
Hi and welcome to the Forum.

I've looked at the CG records and traced William's postings in the hope that this might provide a posting at the time of the national census, but without any luck I'm afraid.

He appears to have taking up his first posting at a land based CG station in 1820 at West Mersea (ADM 175/1-3 pdf 47) having previously served on the Revenue Cutter Rattlesnake.

When Daniel was born he had been at Clackton Wash CG station from 21 Oct 1824. Jumping ahead a couple of moves and he was posted to Ireland on 3 July 1829 to Seafield (ADM 175/5 pdf 24). He made a number of moves whilst in Ireland eventually ending up at Freagh Point in 1849 from where he was pensioned on 12 April 1852 with the rate of Chief Boatman in Charge (ADM 175/19 pdf 204). Unfortunately there is no way of knowing if he remained in Ireland or returned to England.

One avenue you might care to explore is the Merchant Seaman's Tickets on Find my Past - the pay to view site. A good number of men in the CG service and RN applied for tickets, and if issued can provide a wealth of information such as date and place of birth as well as a physical description.

Finally, Daniel was one of those CGs who served in the Navy during the Crimean War on HMS Euryalus for which he received the Baltic Medal.

Martin
Edited by crimea1854 on 31/05/2020 18:13

carolanndrew
Thank you for all this information. I will follow this up. It was very interesting.

Jump to Forum: