Strengthening Belfast Lough Irish Coastguard Service : Stages of Development Researched by Jim Lane, Cork
The following information giving the earliest listing of stations established for the Irish Preventative Water Guard, is based on extracts from ADMís 175/1, 175/13, 175/14, 175/15 and the ďTenth Report of the Commissioners of Inquiry into the Collection and Management of the Revenue arising in Ireland, Scotland ; Etc.Ē published by the House of Commons, 24 June 1824.
When James Dombrain, Comptroller General of the I.P.W.G. , made his report to the Commissioners of Inquiry on 28 October 1823, he claimed he had completed the whole line of the coast and had established 160 stations. The service had in employment 1821 men [chief officers, chief boatmen and boatmen] and 33 inspecting officers, plus 200 casual boatmen , brought in during the winter.
Cork : Crookhaven / Dunmanus , Long Island, Hare /Sherkin Islands, Toe Head, Castletownsend, Glandore, Milk Cove, Dirk Cove on Galley Head, Dunny Cove on Galley Head, Ring, Seven Heads, Courtmacsherry, Old Head of Kinsale, Oysterhaven, Robertís Cove, Spike Island, Poor Head, Ballycotton, Knockadoon.
Waterford : Ardmore Head, Helvick Head, Bunmahon, Isles of Icane, Ballymacaw.
Above are recorded in ADM 175/1 [London Head Office Book] among records from England, Scotland and Wales. Covers the period from late 1819 to September 1820.
The East Coast:
Wexford : Lumsdenís Bay, Fethard, Bar of Lough, Kilmore, Carnsore, Ballygeary Bay, Blackwater, Cahore, Glynn, Kilmichael.
Wicklow : Mizen Head, Greystones, Bray.
Dublin : Dalkey, Baldoyle, Malahide, Rush, Skerries.
Louth : Nannywater, Clogher Head, Dunany Point, Cooley Point.
Down : Crandfield Point, Leestone, Annalong, Newcastle, Terela, St. Johnís Point, Gunnís Island, Tara, Cloghy, Ballyhalbert, Mellisle, Groomsport.
Antrim : Black Head, Port Muck, Ballygally Head, Point of Garron, Port Scalberg, Cushendun, Torr Head, Rathlin Island.
[Above are listed on ADM 175/13] Established from late 1820 and throughout 1821.
The West of Ireland:
Clare : Baltard/Ballard Tower, Seafield, Mutton Island No. 1,Mutton Island No. 2, Spanish Point, Miltownmalbay, Freagh Point, Doolin.
Mayo : Belderg, Ballycastle, Kilcummin Head, Lackan Bay.
The above stage in the West of Ireland was started in December 1820 and probably completed in the summer of 1821. The references can be found in ADM 175/13 and for Doolin Co. Clare, in ADM 175/14.
The Kerry Coast and the link to Cork:
In October 1821, a start was made on the Kerry coast and finished in the summer of 1822. In July 1822, Valentia was established as a District of the Coastguard.
The following stations came into being in that period.
Kerry : Kilmakilloge, Bunaw, West Cove/Derrynane, Ballinskelligs, Minard Head, Ventry, Blasket Island, Ferriterís Cove, Ballydavid, Brandon, Castlegregory, Barrow, Cashen River.
[Entries for these stations are to be found in ADM 175/14]
In September 1822, a connection was begun which eventually linked Cork to Kerry. It started in Dunmanus Bay, Co.Cork and went west towards the Kerry border station of Kilmakilloge. The following stations were established.
Cork : Toormore, Kilcrohane, White Horse, Ardrigole, Castletown, Black Ball Head, Garnish, Reentrusk, Ballycrovane.
[Entries for these stations are to be found in ADM 175/15]
The North West Stages:
In November 1821, a new stage was started in Donegal Bay and finished at Lough Swilly . The following stations were established.
Donegal : Tribane, Teelin Bay East, Teelin Bay West, Malinbeg, Malinmore, Glencolumcille, Dawros Head, Rutland Island, Gweedore, Inishbofin Island, Sheephaven, Mulroy Bay.
In January 1822, they decided to extend this area, by establishing stations between Lough Swilly and the Island of Rathlin. The following stations were established.
Donegal : Dunree Fort, Dunaff Head, Carrickbrackey, Malin Head, Glenegad Head, Port Redford, Port Kinnagoe, Greencastle.
Derry : Downhill, Port Stewart, Port Rush.
Antrim : Port Ballintrae, Port Ballintoy, Ballycastle Colliery.
[ See ADM 175/14 to source above stations]
Strengthening the Coastguard
A review of the service, that ran from far West Cork to Rathlin Island in Co. Antrim, took place in late 1821 and resulted in a decision in January 1822, to open further stations and to reduce the manpower of others. In all it involved the opening of 19 new stations ; 5 in Co. Cork, 3 in Co. Waterford, 3 in Co. Wexford, 1 in Co. Wicklow, 1 in Dublin, 2 in Co. Louth and 2 in Co. Down.
They were as follows;
Cork : Barlogue, within 3 miles of Castletownsend ; Howe Strand, within 4 miles of the Old Head of Kinsale ; Sandy Cove, near Kinsale ; Man of War Cove, near Oysterhaven ; and Ballymacotter, 6 miles from Poor Head.
Waterford : Annstown, 3 miles from Bunmahon ; Rhineshark, 6 miles from Isle of Icane ; Dunmore, 3 miles from Ballymacaw.
Wexford : Bannow, 4 miles from Fethard ; Tacumshane, 4 miles from Carnsore ; Currycloe, 9 miles from Ballygeary ; Morris Castle, 4 miles from Blackwater, Ballymoney, half way between Glynn and Kilmichael Point.
Wicklow : Five Mile Point, 5 miles from Wicklow Town.
Dublin : Portrane, 6 miles from Malahide.
Louth : Mouth of the Boyne, 4 miles from Clogher Head ; Blackrock, 5 miles from Dunany.
Down : Strangford Lough and Copeland Island.
The speed at which the above stations where established, can be judged by the fact that the Ballymacotter Station in Co. Cork, was in operation on 6 February 1822. A total of 27 boatmen were transferred from the following stations, most of which were adjacent to the above ones, as can be seen by a study of the above location information.
Castletownsend, Old Head of Kinsale, Oysterhaven, Poor Head, Bunmahon, Isle of Icane, Ballymacaw, Fethard, Carnsore, Ballygeary Bay, Blackwater, Glynn, Kilmichael Point, Wicklow Head, Baldoyle, Malahide, Nannywater, Clogher Head, Dunany Point, St. Johnís Point, Gunnís Island, Tara, Port Muck, Ballygally, Point of Garron, Cushendun and Rathlin Island.
Finishing the West Coast
Late in 1822, the last phase of the operation of surrounding all of Ireland with Coastguard Stations neared its end. Along with the completion of Co. Mayo, only Counties Galway and Sligo remained to be done. The following stations were completed in that area.
Galway : Arran North, Arran South, Costello[Casleh] Bay, Cleggan Bay, Inishbofin Island.
Mayo : Clare Island, Curraun [Currownish], Achill Head, Blacksod Point, Portacloy, Port Turlin.
Sligo : Inniscrone, Pullendiva, Pullocheny, Raghly Point, Mullaghmore.
Antrim : Grey Point, Hollywood, Carrickfergus.
Strengthening Cork Harbour
Cork : East Ferry, Cove, Crosshaven, Ringabella.
Further Strengthening of the Coast
Arklow, Co. Wicklow, Jacks Hole, Co. Wicklow, Wicklow Bay, Co. Wicklow, Lambay Island, Co Dublin, Balbriggan, Co. Dublin, Keel No. 1, Achill, Co. Mayo, Keel No. 2, Achill, Co. Mayo, Cape Clear Co. Cork, Dunboey [sic], Co. Clare, Raghly Point, Co. Sligo, Coonanna Harbour, Co. Kerry, Portmagee, Co. Kerry, Valentia, Co. Kerry, Mynish Island, Co. Galway.
Of the stations listed in this document, the following were closed by 1824.
- Spike Island, Co. Cork
- Hare Island, Co. Cork
- Man of War Bay, Co. Cork,
- Ballard/Balland Signal Tower, Co. Clare
- Miltownmalbay, Co. Clare.
Many thanks to Jim Lane for this article