View Thread

Print Thread
Coastguard stations
broem
My great grandfather, William BROE, born in Dublin in 1856 joined the Royal Navy at the age of 16 in 1873. He served on various ships aiding the Coastguard service in Queenstown (now Cobh) and also later transferring to the Coastguard service. He initially served in England but towards the latter part of his service was in Ireland. He was stationed at Howe's Strand in Co. Cork between 1904 and 1910 and then at Rosses Point in Co. Sligo until 1912. I would be grateful if anyone could provide me with some information about these as I plan to visit them next summer. I have seen the photos on this excellent site but I would like to find out more about the areas in which they are located.

Many thanks and a merry Christmas.

Mike Broe

Bryan Jago
My grandfather served in various places in Ireland around the turn of the century. In 1907 he was stationed in Buncrana where my mother was born. Any info would be appreciated.
Bryan Jago

crimea1854
Welcome Bryan

It would be helpful if you could post the full name of the man you are looking for.

Elsewhere on the site is an index of Coastguards that are recorded in the 1901 & 1911, this has two Jago's, Charles & William, both in the 1901 census - could either of these be your man?

Martin

Jump to Forum: