View Thread

Print Thread
Achill Coastguard stations
Eoin Halpin
Excuse any ignorance shown by the following query but....
I have been doing some research and have uncovered the following construction dates for the various coastguard stations on Achill Island:
Keel - originally in rented accommodation in the village - Coastguard station built in 1861
Keem - Coastguard station built in 1911 (local information) no apparent coastguard presence prior to the construction of the station
Achillbeg - originally in rented accommodation on Achillbeg Island - moved to 'mainland' Cloghmore first to rented accommodation before station built in 1864
Bullsmouth - Cartographic evidence of rented accomodation before coastguard station built in 1864
Dugort - not marked on 1915 OS map but recorded in COY article as being in existence in 1900?

Have I got these right?
Any assistance very welcome.
Eoin

BTW - there are some photograps of Keem coastguard station up on the site which I would suggest are the ruins of buildings constructed by Capt Boycott rather than anything to do with the coastguard.

bpa
In the book "A tour round Ireland, through the sea-coast counties, in the autumn of 1835" By John Barrow there is a passage which indicates that the coastguard had no station at Keem but seemed to have coastguard boatmen based there.
my kind and careful coast-guard attendant, who guided my quiet pony along this Alpine road, was anxious to spare me an alarm I did not feel; and moralising upon the subject, said—" We are in as much danger as that every day of our lives : 'tis nothing but a thread that keeps us from the land of forgetfulness." Above the little sequestered cove of Keem, to which this road descends, and where it terminates, are two little whitewashed cottages, hanging one above the other on the brink of a torrent, which, after rushing under the pointed arch of a picturesque bridge, loses itself in the absorbing sands, and is scarcely to be tracked to the sea. The torrent threatens in winter to tear away the foundations of the two cottages, which are, besides, not weather tight; yet they are the residence of two coast-guard boatmen and their families ;...

Eoin Halpin
Thanks bpa - great ref - and the description of heading up and over to keem is spot on - even the reference to the opointed arch bridge (still there!)
Interestingly there is no reference to any coastguards for Keel West (Keem townland) in the 1901 census. They are however noted in 1911 as William Chuck (Chief Petty Officer), George Grindell (Boatman) and William Boyce (Boatman). I wonder why no ref to any coastguards in Keem 1901.

bpa
Google Books and the InternetArchive are great places for old books.

In "A forgotten part of Ireland" ( http://www.archiv...00joycrich ) published in 1910 there is a reference to the 4 island stations no longer being fully manned - perhaps the census was taken at that time but a look at the Kew records may give a definitive but less prosaic answer..
Keem is a terrestrial paradise. The road that leads to it carries us over a high cliff which, in its sheer descent to the level of the sea, shows a regularity that almost suggests architectural design. In front, as one advances, one gets a view of the rich pastures of Keem, the coastguard station (four of which until quite recently had been fully manned in this island, the sole usefulness of which seems to have been to prevent the poor islanders from taking hold of any present the winds or the waves made them)...

Perhaps since islanders did not stay in Keem in the winter & spring and the reduction in population since 1830's - so by 1900's coastguard thought the station didn't need to be full time manned. See page 401 http://www.archiv...00otwagoog
Keem, I said, was a singular village; it is only inhabited in summer—who would suppose that the Achillians had such a superfluity of houses, that they had both their winter and summer residences. The Greenlanders and Esquimaux are so changeful, from their excessive vicissitudes of heat and cold— but here I was surprised to find empty every house but two, (and these were the residences of the coast-guard, all with their doors fastened and untenanted; and certainly such miserable wigwams, I had never before seen—all built, as I have already described, without gable-ends. It seems the owners of the village of Keem, and the renters of the adjoining district, have other houses in a distant part of the island, where they spend the winter and spring; thence they come when their oats and potatoes are planted and spend the summer months, herding their cattle on these heights, and leading a pastoral life. Thus in Switzerland they have their chalets on the hills, and in old_times in Ireland the creaghts (as they ,were called) had their boolies on the mountains; but I don't think I ever saw a summer-herding Village before.
I said that two of the coast-guard lived here, and what a lonely life they must lead in winter, in this extreme western end of Achill, when the villagers go home leaving them entirely by themselves.

Eoin Halpin
Cloghmore / Darby's Point, Achill
Could anyone out there on COY-land post a photo of the Cloghmore Coastgauard station. I have the image of the one in the paul henry book - I am looking for an image of the station which was demolished to make way for the fish processing station. It was, I believe, designed by James Owen, Board of Public Works architect, in 1862-3 and constucted in c. 1864. Owen also designed keel and Bullsmouth stations.
Long shot I know but....

Denis McCarthy
I have a photo of the Station at Darbys Point taken I think in the 1950,s. I also have a photo ( I took ) in 2003 of the remains of the boathouse. This ruin can be seen on Google satellite image on the landward side of the present jetty. My G,Grandfather was stationed there C.1900. I will post these but will have to reduce them. Contact me if you wish. Regards Denis

Eoin Halpin
Denis,
Thanks that would be fantastic.
Check out also the late 1960's oblique aerial photo in Jonathan Beaumont's book on Achillbeg showing the ruins of the original Achillbeg coastguard houses in the mid-foreground with the ruin of the Darby's Point station in the background.
Eoin

Jump to Forum: