View Thread

Print Thread
George Stuart Discharge
rockface
With new digitalised records of the Coastguard coming online from the National Archives of the UK Public Record Office at Kew, London,
(http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C2976663#imageViewerLink)

I have discovered the discharge record for my Great Great Great Grandfather George Stuart. He is listed at Bayleek, Clifden as Chief Boatman in Charge on 31st December 1860. Finding his origins has been very difficult if not impossible. This is where I am looking for help. Has anyone any idea where I might find his origins? Might it be on pension records? or might it be on a personnel file if such a thing exists. I believe George Stuart was born in late 1780s but am not certain. Any help really appreciated.

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/records/looking-for-person/coastguard.htm

crimea1854
Welcome to the Forum Rockface.

I've traced your mans movements back to his nomination to the CG Service in 1822, with a first posting to Melroy CGS. Using this information I was able to check the Irish index of nominations in ADM 175/99 pdf 104 where I found that at the time of his appointment he was single, and had given his age as 30, born Antrim. Since he is shown as having been nominated from Cushendun, my guess is that he was born in or near to here, but have a look at the above record and draw your own conclusions.

You might also care to look at the Merchant Seamans Tickets on FMP, you might get lucky - incidently in the records he appear as both Stuart and Stewart.

Hope this helps
Martin

Edited by crimea1854 on 23/12/2014 14:22

rockface
Thanks Martin, That is amazing. Had figured he was Stuart/Stewart alright - it was causing difficulty in research because of the double spelling. Will be researching townlands in Antrim next! Happy ChristmasSmile

bpa
According to rootsireland.ie website - there was a George Stewart baptised in Antrim in 1785. You'll need other info to confirm if he is your relative.

rockface
That is great news! Thank You very much. Will check it out.

Jump to Forum: