View Thread

Dunny Cove Station
Total Votes : 0
 Print Thread
Dunny Cove Station
Deirdre Connolly
Hi,
I'm doing some research into the Ardfield area of West Cork and I'm looking for any information on the Dunny Cove station - which no longer exists.
I have come across some listings for officers posted there on this site and from newspaper articles, as well from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of the 1840's.
I'd really appreciate any photographs/sketches of the station or further information on the people stationed there.

Many thanks
Deirdre

crimea1854
Hi Deirdre

Can I ask, is there a particular time period you are interested in?

Martin

Deirdre Connolly
Hi Martin,

I'm looking for information, drawings,pictures of Dunny Cove from the early 1800's - which is roughly about the time the Preventive Water Guard was established until the station closed or was "blown up" sometime around 1922.
I have come across numerous newspaper articles mentioning Lieut Speck as well as the listings of Coast Guard personnel, which mention him and later entries which mention later Coast Guards. I have gotten lists of the personnel from CoY site as well.
Dunny Cove is as listed in 1845 as an exisiting station. I have also found entires in Thoms Dictories as well as in the Pettigrew & Oulton Almanacs.
There is also a listing of Dunny Cove in the Dictionary of Irish Architects which lists drawings for new chief officers house in 1886 and another for the replacement of a 3 storey block by cottages in 1898.
In a recent discovery on the National Folklore Project site there is a school essay written in 1938 (Ardfield School) which describes the Coast Guard Station as being "quite new, but broken down inside" as well as being blown up during "the time of the trouble".
I am also in the process of getting my hands on some articles from the Arfield local history group which mention Dunny Cove.
If you could point me in the right direction I'd be very grateful.
Thank You
Deirdre

crimea1854
I'm not sure if it's relevant, but the following a list of those men serving at Dunny Cove at the time who saw service during the Crimean War.

Jeremiah Coghlan - HMS Prince Regent in the Baltic & Royal Albert in the Crimea - Baltic Medal & Crimea Medal with Sebastopol clasp.
Daniel Enright - ships & medals as above.
William Bolt - HMS Duke of Wellington - Baltic Medal
Robert Herd - HMS Duke of Wellington - Baltic Medal (he was already in possession of the Naval General Service Medal with Syria clasp for service on HMS Powerful)
John Archibald - HMS Duke of Wellington - Baltic Medal; the CG Establishment book notes that he deserted from the fleet, but still appears on the medal roll.

Martin

Deirdre Connolly
Hi Martin
That is very helpful, thank you.
Where did you find this information? And would you have any thoughts on where I could get more information like this?

crimea1854
This is based on my own research at the National Archives, and by using the CG Establishment Book to find who was based at Dunny Cove during the Crimean War.

Martin

Deirdre Connolly
Thank you martin - aplogies for the delay in acknowledging your response as I've been ill.

Thank for you reply and a belated Happy Christmas and Happy New Year for 2020.

gayenz
crimea1854 wrote:

I'm not sure if it's relevant, but the following a list of those men serving at Dunny Cove at the time who saw service during the Crimean War.
Robert Herd - HMS Duke of Wellington - Baltic Medal (he was already in possession of the Naval General Service Medal with Syria clasp for service on HMS Powerful)

Martin

Haven't looked at my HERD line for awhile. Always great to see your comments, thanks Martin. I was aware of the Baltic Medal but not the General Service one with the Syria clasp.
Recently I found a New Zealand newspaper article in 1915 for Robert Herd's grandson Henry Herd who was wounded in WW1. According to a newspaper article his father, grand and great grandfathers were army and naval veterans. It alleged Robert Herd had fought in the Crimea, China War and Indian Mutiny. So I have to amend my notes - it was the Syrian War 1840 not China. I did not know the HMS Powerful. Thank you. Gaye

Jump to Forum: