View Thread

Print Thread
Thomas Clark Roches Point 1905
Keefbc
I'm researching my great grandfather who was chief officer at Roches Point Coastguard Station in the early 1900's.

His National Archive record shows that he was removed from service on 17 Jul 1905 for misconduct - disobeying the Rear Admiral's orders with a reference of NR1379 18/7/1905.

I was wondering if anyone could shed light on how to find his court martial details?

I have tried to attach the relevant JPG file but it get refused - National Archives reference is ADM 175_103, page 169.

Merged on 18/10/2019 11:46:37:
Managed to attach the file!
Keefbc attached the following image:
adm_175_103_p169.jpg

Edited by Keefbc on 18/10/2019 11:46

crimea1854
It cannot have been anything too serious, because on 9 Aug 1905 he was posted to Limerick as Chief Officer, where he remained until pensioned on 27 July 1909.

Martin

Keefbc
Hi Martin,

Thanks for your comments. I just found his Naval record at National Archives, so see what you mean. Still interested to find out more on what happened, so any suggestions on finding NR1379 would be helpful - would that be a reference to a court martial or possibly something else?

Keith

crimea1854
Keith

It will be a reference to an Admiralty letter, most of which were 'weeded', so the chance of it surviving are pretty slim.

Martin

Keefbc
Hi Martin

Thanks for your help.

Keith

Gail
I was so interested to see your post as I am too researching my Great Great grandfather's time in the coastguard at Balllyavid. He was also called Thomas Clark. I have a copy of a letter sent to him from the Imperial Russian Consulate commending him & his men for their bravery in rescuing the Russian sailors from the sailing ship " Orient" that foundered offBallydavid Head. I know that he was born in Scotland.

Keefc
Hi Gail - have sent you a private message - you may be on to something!

Keith

Merged on 23/01/2022 15:19:16:
Hi again Gail, I've done some more digging and found the Orient (Russian Brig 456 tons) listed under Smerwick wrecks - sunk in 1908, cargo was salt and sunk at Ballydavid Head on its way from Gloucester bound for Limerick. The Chief Officer of the Coastguard station at Smerwick from 1905 to 1909 was my great grandfather Thomas Clark.

Keith
Edited by Keefc on 23/01/2022 15:19

Jump to Forum: