View Thread

Print Thread
William Jenkins 1864ish occ:Coastguard Ireland
crimea1854
Hi Pam and welcome to the Forum.

I must confess with all the above posts I'm getting a little confused - not that difficult to do! Perhaps you, or one of the other members of the family could prepare a family tree with a little additional information where Coastguards are concerned and post it as an article on the site?

Coming back to William, FMP has a seamans ticket for a CG boatman William Jenkins born Well Cove(?), Cornwall in Oct 1812, At the time the ticket was issued (1845) he was serving at Upper Cove, Kinsale.

Re reading all the above posts I was also struck by the number of Tiddy's and Sharrock's that also served in the CG Service, particularly around the 1850's, no doubt extended members of the family.

Martin

Pam T
Thanks for your reply Martin. If anyone has already done a family tree for William and Matilda Jenking I would be very interested in seeing it. I am working hard on tracing the family down from W & M, but as they had 14 children it will, I guess take some time.

I will certainly return to this site for info. on coastguards and I am impressed with the photo gallery.

Regards
Pam

bodad
Martin, Can you tell me what FMP is and where can I get a copy of the Seaman's Ticket? I'm just going through some records to try to work out whether William could have been Jonas' son. The later Coast Guard Records state William's Date of Birth as 9th July 1812 in Will Cove (we've tied this down to Wilcove in Cornwall, opposite Devonport), but if there's some other evidence which contradicts that, then I need to rethink.

The evidence I have is a seaman's record ADM 188-63-394-367 Jenkins William 75194, ADM175-70 Frederick William to 1868 (Folio 253 and Acrobat Page 202) and ADM175-53 Valiant from 1868 (Folio 205 for Kells and Acrobat Page 165). All clearly state the same place and date. Any help in collecting any more evidence of place and date of birth, even if it contradicts the current evidence would be very helpful (as long as it relates to the same William Jenkins that is!).

Pam, I have a William Jenking, father of Mary Ann Jenking (b. about 1826) marrying John Peters in St Mawes in 1850 and I also have a Clarinda Sharrock who married Jonathan Cundy Lower in 1819 whose son William Lower (b 1832) went to prison for the attempted murder in 1881 of William Henry Jenkins (son of this William Jenkins b 1812). If either of these is of interest, I am happy to provide further details.

Thanks,

Tim

crimea1854
Tim

FMP = the pay to view site Find my Past

Martin

bodad
Martin,

The Merchant Seaman Record for William provides another carrer as a Boy in the RN before he joined the Packet Service in Flamouth. Hve you any advice on how to find which Ships he served on between 1823 and 1829?

Thanks,

Tim

crimea1854
Tim

In the absence of a pension application in the ADM 29 series of documents held at the National Archives the next best source for a mans career is the Ships Description Book for the last ship he is known to have served on. This would list all his previous ships and the rates held, together with a physical description.

Unfortunately HMS Swallow does not appear to have a Description Book, so I’m afraid it's a case of tracing your mans career back using the Ships Muster Books, and hoping that when he initially sign-on in Swallow his previous ship is named.

The other problem you have is that prior to 1853 there was no such thing as Continuous Service, which meant that men could sign on just for a ships commission, and when paid-off were free to sign-on in another naval vessel, or join a merchant ship. Thus men were free to move between the two services.

Martin

Pam T
Hi Tim

I will send you a pm in a few days as I am just checking to see if we have a Jenking family connection.
Fascinating stuff regarding the attempted murder, I have been reading up about it online!

Regards
Pam

Jump to Forum: