View Thread

Print Thread
Joseph William Jackson
shanat19
Joseph William Jackson was my Great-Grandfather. I was aware from both the 1901 and 1911 UK Census that he was connected to the Coastguard, but I have just found his Naval Record and Service Number in the National Archives which shows that his 'Rating' changed from 'Stoker' presumably on the various ships mentioned to 'Boatman' and then, in April 1910, to 'PO CG'. The letters PO presumably means Petty-Officer and CG, Coast Guard. But in July 1910 - only three months later - the record shows CPO - Chief Petty-Officer, which is a bit of a swift promotion so soon after the PO entry. Mind you, the handwriting on the record is a bit hard to read, not made any easier by the fact that it appears to have been photocopied. After this change in 'Rating', he was posted to various Coastguard Stations - I know nothing of the history of the Coastguard, so they may not have been called this - on the south coast of England, and then in Ireland [this is pre-1922 so all of Ireland was under English rule] where he appeared to have remained - Portmuck [where ever that is], Omeath, Giles Quay, Soldier's Point. There are, however, postings which I cannot decipher. One looks like 'Victory' but not quite and is in the middle of the Irish postings, and also an entry which appears to say 'President IV Giles Quay' followed by 'President IV Omeath' Unfortunately, this site does not allow for .pdf files to be uploaded, or I could upload an image of the record, but any suggestions or comments would be gratefully received.

Jump to Forum: