View Thread

Print Thread
Joshua Jones Coastgaurd service
Lloyd Leitch
I am trying to get information and records for my great great grandfather Joshua Jones, who served with Royal Navy and Coastgaurd.
Below is information i have been able to obtain from Royal Navy service records.

If there is some one who can assist with details of the stations or direct me to sites were records can be accessed and downloaded would be much appreciated
While i realise that joshua jones is a common name hopefully dates will help.
His Royal Navy service was on the Royal navy ships "Ganges" 'Comet" "Lucifer" " Blazer" " Royal George"

COAST GAURD 1849-1850

Following his service on the HMS Blazer Joshua Jones was nominated to the Torr Head Coastgaurd Station in Ulster on the 26th Oct 1849. He transferred to the Ballycastle Station on the 29th Nov 1849 with a further transfer to Port Rush Station on the 28th Oct 1850. He held the rank of Boatman during his time at all the above Coastgaurd Stations.
while at Port Rush he "Married a Native" being Harriet McConaghy on the 9 Oct 1850 (on checkng marriage and census records, with 2 children being James Alexander and Harriet E Jones)

COAST GAURD 1856-1869

Joshua Jones returned to Coastguard service at the Pattens Falls Station on the 8th Mar 1858, (Promoted to Commissioned Boatman) Ballycastle Station 28th Jun 1859, Crandfield Station 28th Dec 1863, (promoted to Chief Boatman) and Culdaff Bay Station 19th Jan 1866, (promoted to Chief Boatman in Charge). Discharged on the 15 Oct 1869

crimea1854
Lloyd welcome to the Forum.

I have a Joshua Jones on my database of those Coastguards who served during the Crimean War. Much of my information matches yours re ships and places served, so I'm inclined to think it is the same man.

The Joshua I have was born on 15 Nov 1817 in Dover (ADM 175/29), he served on HMS Ganges being awarded the Naval General Service Medal with Syria clasp (medal stll held by the family). During the Crimean War he served on HMS Royal George, for which he was awarded the Baltic Medal that was sent to the Ballycastle CG District in 1857.

Hope this helps.
Martin

Lloyd Leitch
Thanks Martin for the info.
Do you have any info on the coastguard stations, looking for more detail as to his role and if you can advise on the rank structure with in the coastguard stations he served at
Would be appreciated

Lloyd

crimea1854
No information on the stations, but the rank structure was as follows:

Boatman, Commissioned Boatman – equivalent to Leading Seaman in the RN, Chief Boatman – equivalent to Petty Officer 2nd Class, Chief Boatman in Charge – Petty Officer 1st Class and Chief Officer.

Martin

Lloyd Leitch
thanks for the rank structure Martin,

are you aware of any other websites that might have info on the coastgaurd stations?
have got the locations and some details for this site but always after more info

Lloyd

Jump to Forum: