View Thread

Print Thread
George Hamilton (1830’s to 1860’s approx.)
lgr2323
I am an Australian descendant of Mary Anne or Marianne Tighe (born 1805,Townland Rathbal, Ballysakeery Parish, Mayo, her parents later lived at Rathlacken), who was married to George Hamilton of the Coast Guard. A burial record on CoY refers to Mary Anne , wife of George Hamilton as being buried in 1842 while at Keel Station. A Google search initially took me to a website http://townlandhistory.netfirms.com/coastguard/ and later perusal of ADM 175/18 put him at:
Keel from 1839 to 1843,
Lackin until 1844,
Portavad until 1845,
Tulloughan until 1849,
Innisturk until 1850 or 1851,
Bullsmouth until 1853,
Ferriters Cove until ?.
Buncrana A newspaper report refers to a RNLI medal in 1856 for a rescue here

I haven’t accessed ADM 175/19 as yet to check his movements after Tulloughan.

Family lore has it that Marianne was married a second time (a Robinson), but this doesn’t fit with such an early death in 1842 and being buried as wife of George Hamilton. Maryanne also had a sister or some other close relative, Matilda Tighe, who was married to Coast Guard John Anderson (parents of C.G. William Atkinson Anderson), but they don’t appear to have been at the same stations at any time.

Does anyone know anything about George, Maryanne, or any children born? I can’t find any marriage or death records anywhere. Family letters refer to her being pregnant in 1837 or 39.

Thanks, Louise

Jump to Forum: