View Thread

Print Thread
Thomas Morgan
PM
I am looking for the records of my great-great grandfather Thomas Morgan. He served with the Coastguard (wife Margaret Morgan). His son John Morgan (born in Bangor, Down, Ireland 1871) later attended the Royal Hospital School, Greenwich, and subsequently served in the Navy. It is reputed in family legend that Thomas Morgan fell/walked off a cliff. Apart from that I don’t have any further information.

Do you know where I can find more information about him?

Many thanks.

crimea1854
PM welcome to the Forum.

To find out about a mans service you can consult the Coastguard records on the National Archives (NA) in ADM 175 or the service records in ADM 139 or 188. The first are available as free downloads and the second cost £3.30 each.

I have done a little research and found a Thomas Morgan nominated to the CG Service in Dec 1857 from Prince Albert, with a first posting to Newcastle, Ireland (ADM 175/19 pdf 426). I am of the opinion she is the Revenue Cruiser (RC) of this name, but a check of ADM 175/20 (RC records) has a Thomas Morgan as 2nd Mate and as being discharged superannuated. However, this particular document only lists those men of substantive rank not ordinary mariners, it is therefore possible that this might be a relative and not actually your man. The only way to resolve this is by consulting her actual Muster Book at the NA (ADM 119/88).

There is a further reason I think this Thomas is not your man, and that is in a later CG record your Thomas’ last ship is shown as HMS Amphitrite 9 June 1856. Again a trip to the NA and consulting Amphitrite’s Description Book (ADM 38/7519) would both establish if this was the last naval vessel he served on, but as a bonus should also provide a list of his previous ships, a physical description, place and approx date of birth.

If it is confirmed he served on Amphitrite then he would have served in the Pacific during the Crimean War, but no medal was awarded for this theatre of war.

I did continue to trace your Thomas’ service in the Establishment and Ships Books in ADM 175 until he was pensioned with the rank of Chief Officer in 1879. By way of confirmation that I have the right man, in 1871 he was stationed at Groomsport CGS, Bangor, Down, which ties in with the birth of his son. Of real interest to you is that in the later records he gives his date of birth as 14 June 1832, Cooley Point, Louth (175/39 – 171), knowing this I found a naval service record that covers the period from 1873 until superannuated.

http://discovery....i=D6609077

If you have any problems tracing his movements in ADM 175 let me know and I’ll try and help.

Martin

PM
Thank you very much for this. This is very helpful indeed. The full birth certificate that I have obtained for John Morgan shows his place of birth as Groomsport, and his father’s residence as Groomsport.

Jump to Forum: