View Thread

Print Thread
Jeremiah Desmond
Mike Randall
I'm new to this way of communicating, but hope I get this request right!
I am trying to help my wife to trace her ancestry and Irish Coastguards are a significant link.
Her great-grandfather was a Jeremiah Desmond, b. 1840 in Tracton. He was baptised, the record shows, in the R.C. parish of Inchigeelah, Cork in July 1840 and married Johannah Drinan in the district of Kinsale in 1866. Later censuses showed her birthplace either as Tracton or Cobh.
At some time between 1875 and 1881, they, with children, moved to Yarmouth on the Isle of Wight and we believe this was a transfer within the Coastguard service. Previously, we understand they lived at Robert's Cove, with Jeremiah serving as a coastguard. He then served as a Coastguard at Yarmouth.
Does anyone already have record of Jeremiah serving in the Irish Coastguard service?
Or can anyone give me a steer into where and how to direct our research next?
We will be visiting Cork later this year and this family research is one of the reasons for the visit.
Yours,
Mike Randall

mcshere
Try this link to the National Archives, UK, - there are 2 possible records in the list that fit the bill, and both could be for the same Jeremiah. It will cost 3.30 each to download the files in PDf format, but they were a great help to me with a similar query re: Timothy O'Neill

http://discovery....ah+Desmond

Eamonn

Mike Randall
Eamonn, Many thanks for the link. Each entry is, I believe, as you suggest, our Jeremiah.
I can find the records in the Archives, but should I be able to download a pdf of his service record sheet?? If so how? All I get so far is the bland headings and bare facts.
Mike

mcshere
Mike - sorry for the delay - on hols and then ill for a week!
You can't be sure of the content of the PDF until you pay and download it - if you've done this and just got a summary, then I'm not sure where you can look. Maybe records are misindexed, different spelling (doubtful?)
However the payment and downloading bit on their site is not very intuitive - maybe you haven't actually downloaded the PDF? First find the entries you want, pick each one (I'd do them separately) and you should be presented with a web page which has a "Order and viewing options" section, near the top, an "Add to Basket" button, and a reference that the the NA are now accepting Paypal. Click to add your record to the basket. Then continue to basket, then checkout. Next they ask you for an email address to send the PDF, but they don't actually use this! Put in your email address and continue on to pay the 3.30. After this you should see a download link on the page - just click to download or open the record. Make sure you save it somewhere on your PC.
Eamonn

Jump to Forum: