View Thread

Print Thread
circa 1887 Coast Guard uniform
jgairguns
Attached is a picture of my ggrand father in uniform. I am trying to determine what his rank or rating was. Can any one tell me from the uniform. He was stationed at Bray, Wicklow, Ireland. Are there any vintage maps or drawings of the Coast Guard Station at Bray from that time period? Thanks. I am at a loss and find it almost impossible to navigate the National Archive website. This is my first time posting at this forum. If the picture does not appear please let me know. John
jgairguns attached the following image:
thomas-harris-web.gif

crimea1854
Welcome to the Forum.

If you could provide a little more information such as a date and place of birth, and confirm your man's name I will see if I can find a service record for him at the National Archives - if he was serving in 1887 he will definitely have one!

Martin

jgairguns
Martin, that is wonderful and was a very quick reply. The name is Thomas Harris. He is my ggreat grandfather. I know he was there in December 1887 because it says so on my grand fathers birth certificate. My grand father, Charles Fredrick Harris, was born in Bray County Wicklow on December 23, 1887. His birth certificate lists his fathers (Thomas Harris) occupation as "Coast Guard". Any information about Thomas Harris or his family would be more then I have. I only last week confirmed his name. Thank you for anything you can find out. I looked at the National Archive website but could not fumble my way through it. John

crimea1854
John

I think I have found the family in the Irish Census' for both 1901 and 1911. Unfortunately neither census provided a place of birth for Thomas, other than England around 1854-55.

http://www.census...s/1610047/

http://www.census...e__/57511/

However, I did then use this to check the navy service records and found one for a Thomas Harris, born Torquay 1 June 1854. Taking a bit of a punt I downloaded it and found I had hit the bullseye! This showed he was working at Bray in 1887 confirming I had the right man. To save you also buying it, I will send a copy to your private email address. You will note from this that he was awarded his Long Service Good Conduct medal in 1895.

There is another record for him, but this only covers three years service prior to 1873.

http://discovery....i=D7940745

Martin

PS: sent email but received an automated out of office message.
Edited by crimea1854 on 24/08/2013 20:11

jgairguns
Martin, This information is fantastic. There are several names her that I did not have. As well as some other information. I can not thank you enough. John

NiallMac
John. This is very weird. Just today I have started to do some research into my mothers family and I found my grandfather, Samuel Harris' birth certificate which states that his father was a Thomas Harris , a Coast Guard, stationed in Dalkey which is just up the coast from Bray! The census information confirms that we share a great grandfather! My mother died in the early 80's and I have had very little information to go on but the posts below have filled in a huge number of gaps! Best wishes. Niall

Jump to Forum: