View Thread

Print Thread
George & Mary Ann Steed
Peter Gilbertson
I am trying to trace information on my Great-Great Grandparents George and Mary Ann Steed. George Steed was a Coast Guard in North Wales in 1871 and Crosby in 1881, but I believe he married a young woman called Mary Ann from Kilfinnane, County Limerick in around 1863. If anyone has any information on either person and their whereabouts in Ireland I'd be glad to hear from them...many thanks
Peter Gilbertson attached the following image:
steed_coast_guard.png

crimea1854
Welcome to the Forum Peter.

Having looked at the CG Establishment & Ships Books all I can tell you is that George entered the CG Service from HMS Phoebe on 14 July 1866, with a posting to Tarbert CG Station (ADM 175/21 pdf 108). He was then transferred to Cappa CGS on 28 May 1867 (175/21 - 110), then on 24 July 1867 to Fleetwood, Douglas.

I have various ref. to him in ADM 175/57 (pdf115) and ADM 175/58 (pdfs 172 & 127), which take you up to the 1870's. These cover his time on the IoM and his posting to Carnarvon.

To try and establish his movements prior to joining the CGS you could download his service record from the National Archives, his service number being 38507 (born 24 March 1839).
http://discovery....i=D7887075

For his service after 1873 see his Service Record:
http://discovery....i=D6606460

Hope this is of some help

Martin
Edited by crimea1854 on 16/06/2013 08:13

Peter Gilbertson
Martin - that was quick! Thanks very much - there is lots to be getting on with here. I'll follow up these reference and see where that leads me...
Peter

jvlowe1946
Hello Peter

My great-great-grandfather was a brother of George Steed. George was stationed here in the Isle of Man, at Douglas, when two of his daughters, Margaret and Mary Ann, were born. The Manx Museum holds the old church records and I found their baptisms in the records of St Mary's Church in Douglas; the information includes their dates of birth as well. As it's a Catholic church, the details are in Latin, even the names! If you would like copies I could email them to you. I also have copies of photos showing the Watch House, where he would have worked, if you would like them too.

Kind regards
Jan Lowe

Jump to Forum: