Random Record
Richard Johns
ADM Records
Date of discharge: 29 June 1859
View Thread
 Print Thread
William Stephen COOK
Patricia O Shea
Greetings all. I am hoping to find information on William Stephen COOK who I believe was a boatman in the Preventive Water Guard at Dunny Cove, County Cork in 1822. Unfortunately that is all the information I have, which is from parliamentary papers (EPPI). Many thanks for any assistance anyone can provide.
Regards, Patsy - New Zealand

crimea1854
Hi Patsy, and welcome to the Forum.

Using the Coastguard Establishment Books I have traced WSC's service history. He looks to have first entered the CG service on 8 Feb 1820, with a posting to Courtmasherry as a probationer Boatman (ADM 175/13 pdf 27). Unfortunately I am unable to read where from, it looks like Queensborough, but perhaps if you download the file yourself you might make it out.

To date I have not found him in the Nomination Books for 1820-21, but I will keep looking, since this may answer the question.

5 April 1821 he was promoted to Commissioned Boatman, remaining at Courtmasherry. On 5 March 1822 he was transferred to Dunny Cove, then on 22 Nov 1822 to Seven Heads/Barry Cove following promotion to Chief Boatman.

On 31 May 1829 he was removed to Castletown, where he was Discharged Dead on 7 Dec 1836 (ADM 175/18 pdf134).

Martin

PS: I did finally manage to find him in the Nomination Books (ADM 175/74 pdfs 14&15), and he was from Queenborough. All the ADM files referred to above can be downloaded for free from the National Archives website, but be warned they a very big files!

On the Familysearch.org site they have the bapt. of a William Stephen Cook, 5 Nov 1794, Queenborough, Kent, parents John and Margaret Cook.
Edited by crimea1854 on 20/07/2012 20:05

Patricia O Shea
Wow, thank you very much for all that Martin, it is much appreciated. I was not aware one could access the files from the Archives so will have a look there.

Many thanks again,
Patsy

Jump to Forum: