View Thread

Print Thread
Mackrell Carlingford
updown
I have been following a family in ireland that went to England (Devon) and descendants became coast guards in Scotland too.

The furthest I have got back is an Alexander Mackrell who died in Carlingford Co Louth (he was in Devon too) and he was a coast guard . he lived to 90 born 1790's.

Ive looked at National records in Kew on line and his sons are there alright but I can't locate Alexander senior.....shouldn't he be there?

Any advice most welcome.

crimea1854
Hi, and welcome to the Forum.

Continuous Service (CS) was only introduced in 1853, and then was not compulsory. It is only men who signed up for CS who have records on the National Archives Website. From 1873 CS did become compulsory.

To trace a CG prior to this 1873, when there is no CS record, you need to piece together his career from the CG Establishment Books in ADM 175, which can be downloaded for free from the NA website, but be warned these are VERY LARGE files.

I have traced your mans moves, apart from a gap of about six years. He was first nominated to the CG service in June 1821, aged 22, with a posting to Isle of Rathlin - at the time he was single (ADM 175/99 pdf 68).

You may wish to do the remainder yourself, but if not let me know and I will post what I have.

Martin

updown
crimea1854 wrote:

Hi, and welcome to the Forum.

Continuous Service (CS) was only introduced in 1853, and then was not compulsory. It is only men who signed up for CS who have records on the National Archives Website. From 1873 CS did become compulsory.

To trace a CG prior to this 1873, when there is no CS record, you need to piece together his career from the CG Establishment Books in ADM 175, which can be downloaded for free from the NA website, but be warned these are VERY LARGE files.

I have traced your mans moves, apart from a gap of about six years. He was first nominated to the CG service in June 1821, aged 22, with a posting to Isle of Rathlin - at the time he was single (ADM 175/99 pdf 68).

You may wish to do the remainder yourself, but if not let me know and I will post what I have.

Martin

I'd love if you would post Martin...those files are far too big for me.

Thanks so much for your help.

Kevin.

crimea1854
Kevin

21 June 1821 to Isle of Rathlin as a Boatman
The next time I can find him is his transfer to Innisbofen from Innslyre on 30 November 1827 (ADM 175/16 pdf 352)
31 Jan 1829 to Mellisle
31 Jan 1831 to Groomsport (ADM 175/18 pdf 374) following his promotion to Commissioned Boatman.
13 June 1839 to Sidmouth
Discharged on an allowance of £38/10- per annum, 11 May 1854 (ADM 175/7 pdf 416)

Martin

updown
crimea1854 wrote:

Kevin

21 June 1821 to Isle of Rathlin as a Boatman
The next time I can find him is his transfer to Innisbofen from Innslyre on 30 November 1827 (ADM 175/16 pdf 352)
31 Jan 1829 to Mellisle
31 Jan 1831 to Groomsport (ADM 175/18 pdf 374) following his promotion to Commissioned Boatman.
13 June 1839 to Sidmouth
Discharged on an allowance of £38/10- per annum, 11 May 1854 (ADM 175/7 pdf 416)

Martin

You have been extremely helpful Martin and I really appreciate it.

What a fantastic forum you have here.

Again, thank you.

crimea1854
Hi Kevin

That six year gap was annoying me so I had another look, and can now fill in the missing years.

13 December 1822 to Ballycastle (Coleraine) from Rathlin (ADM 175/15 pdf 214)
15 January 1825 to Malmore (renamed Innslyre from 5 July 1825) (ADM 175/15 pdf 262).

I should have also said that on his nomination he gave his place of birth as Carlingford.

Martin

KiaOraAnne
Hi Kevin & Martin,

I can't really believe the coincidence of this. I was also searching for Alexander Mackrell this week and just found these excellent details you have provided.

Alexander Mackrell is my great, great, great grandfather. I had found the records for his time in Sidmouth (1841 & 1851 census) but that was all and wasn't sure where he was before and after that period. Thanks so much for the timely information. I was actually in the process of downloading the first of those massive files when I found your posts.

Thanks from New Zealand,

Anne

updown
Many thanks to Crimea for letting me know there were more replies.

Thanks again all....the confirmation of Carlingford as birthplace is very important.

I'll be in touch Anne.

Merged on 11/06/2012 11:59:33:
Hello Anne, I know people who share your ancestry and have plenty of info. ...some of it is fascinating.

Is there a way of passing on info here off the forum?

I'd like to pass on details....there is a lot of it.

KiaOraAnne wrote:

Hi Kevin & Martin,

I can't really believe the coincidence of this. I was also searching for Alexander Mackrell this week and just found these excellent details you have provided.

Alexander Mackrell is my great, great, great grandfather. I had found the records for his time in Sidmouth (1841 & 1851 census) but that was all and wasn't sure where he was before and after that period. Thanks so much for the timely information. I was actually in the process of downloading the first of those massive files when I found your posts.

Thanks from New Zealand,

Anne

Edited by updown on 11/06/2012 11:59

Jump to Forum: