View Thread

Print Thread
Interpreting service records and background infomation
Hello,

Does anyone know the meaning of a strange abbreviation looks like "ToB" that seems to appear in service records (for last station posted) at the start of a trail of service.

And why were people were shifted around so much? It seems every year or so they moved somewhere else.

Plus are there records other than service records? and general information about coastguard (like how did people get into it, rules of service, maps, daily duties, etc.).

THanks
Susan

crimea1854
Welcome to the Forum Susan.

On your first question, it would help if you could give the document ref. and a pdf number.

Men were moved frequently because that way they could not form local attachments, meaning they might turn a blind eye to smuggling.

On your last point I would recommend you visit the site linked below. This covers men who joined from the Navy, but prior to 1856 a good number of men joined at their local CG Station, similar to joining a branch of the Civil Service.

http://www.pbenyo...oast_Guard

If your man was in the navy from 1853 then he may have a service record available online on the National Archives website. However, if he joined prior to this, or does not have a service record, you could try the 'Ships Description Book' for his last ship. This would provide a physical description, place of birth, age, marital status, and a list of all his previous ships and when he served on them.

As to his duties there are a couple of very good articles in the 'Articles' section of this site.

Hope this helps.

Martin

Hello, Thanks for the reply. I'm looking at records in the ADM 175 \ 16 pdf document that I downloaded from the National Archives. It covers Ireland 1826 - 1836. The page I'm on is 446 (of 503) and the very first line gives an example of this apparent abbreviation, along with its presence for James Gates. I was hoping to find where he trained or first joined the service (which I think was the UK).

He was born about 1795 (in the UK, SHoreham and I wonder if he served there? but haven't had any success finding any sort of training or first posting before the records I found for Ireland).

Also he returns to the UK early 1830s. Again the trail also stops fairly quickly in the UK and the record formats change (eg in ADM 175\98.pdf they stop giving a station by station listing and start giving long books of names alone).

Thanks for the other pointers. I'll have to find my way around the site to see if I can learn more about what he actually did. I've only just learned that coastguard was more about controlling customs than running a lighthouse or anything!
Susan

crimea1854
Hi Susan.

I'm afraid you were mis reading 'FB' for 'ToB'. FB means 'Former Book' so you need to look back at the same station in the preceeding volume. I did this and found him in ADM 175/15 pdf 169 and then again in ADM 175/14 pdf 57.

The last ref indicated that he had been appointed at the Preventative Station Ed.(?) Sidmouth, so I checked the Nominations Book for Ireland (ADM 175/99 pdf 41), which confirmed this, but also noted that he was married, with no children.

Re his move back to England there appears to be a gap from 1831 to 1832, when I next found him at Kingsdown (ADM 175/6 pdf 117). His next move to Kingsgate is fine (ADM 175/6 pdf 97) then to Folkestone, then it gets confusing in ADM 175/7 pdf 135, because it shows a posting to Folkestone from Folkestone!

His final posting is Fort Moncrief (ADM 175/7 pdf 143) from where he is retired.

I have not provided the dates of these moves, and will leave this to you, but the ref. should help.

Martin

THanks.. am following it all up at this moment.... some excellent leads

Jump to Forum: