View Thread

Print Thread
Barque Mary Stoddart, 'embayed' 1858
Fiona Fitzsimons
Hi there, I'm researching the rescue of the barque Mary Stoddart by the Dundalk Coastguards in May 1858. The ship had got ‘embayed in Dundalk bay’ in or around May 1858. Some of the crew were later awarded medals by the Royal National Lifeboat Institution. So far I've traced accounts in the Belfast News Letter, the Freeman’s Journal and the London Daily News.
Any idea where I would look next for the official version of events?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Fiona.

crimea1854
Hi Fiona, and welcome to the Forum.

Can I suggest that you drop a PM to our member willoughr, he is in the process of writing a book on rescues around the Irish coast, and may be able to provide the information you are after.

Martin

bpa
You could try Google Books.

A search under "Barque Mary Stoddart" brought up many links including an account in the Journal of the RNLI and also a mention in the committee stage and final report of the Commission on Harbours of Refuge - the report was interested in whether a change to the harbour could have averted the accident.

cunnins4
Hello Fiona,

I was searching for the Mary Stoddart on Google as my Great, Great, Great Grandfather (I think it's 3 great!), Gerald Hughes, died saving the crew of that ship and I came across this thread. He made one successful trip to the wreck and saved several people, but died on the second outing to the wreck. That's all I know, but I would love to know more about this as my Grandfather is researching his own family history.

If you had any links or resources you could share that would be simply amazing.

Thanks,

Stephen

Fiona Fitzsimons
Hi Stephen,
If you send me your email, I can forward you a copy of a newspaper account of the ship-wreck and rescue.
The post from Crimea1854 was also useful and to the point.

Thanks,k
Fiona.

Jump to Forum: