View Thread

Print Thread
Irish Coastguards
Ron Harlond - Sanders
Hi All,

Only found your forum by accident, but it looks impressive. My claim to fame is that my G/Grandfather Henry Harlond/Harland was a coastguard in Ireland for some years, before retiring to Devonport, Devon. There is a family tale that his brother Arthur was also a Coastguard as well, but in Devon instead; however I have not been able to find him anywhere.

If anyone comes across any reference to any of the Harlonds, I would be gratetful for the info. I have some pictures of GGrandad, and the Coastguard Stations that he served in, which I wil download as soon as I have worked out how to do it.

Great site, Ron Smile

crimea1854
Welcome to the Forum Ron.

You don't say when Arthur would have been serving, however, on the National Archives website there is an Arthur Thomas Harlond, born Cork in June 1873, could this be your man?

Martin

bpa
According to Genuki (based on census returns) there is a Samuel Harland b 1866 in Ireland and seems to retire to Devonport.
see http://www.genuki...s/H-I.html

Possibly the same Samuel Alexander Harlond b 1865 in Donegal in National Archives.

edit:
Possbily nothing new but this may be your family - as it looks like Samuel's father is Henry, mother is Grace Emma Brewer and has a brother Henry. But also Arthur Thomas Harlond b in cork june 1872 father Henery Harlond and mother Emma Brewer.

There is a Chf Btm Henry Harland posted to Sheephaven Donegal in 1864 transferred from Killybegs.
Edited by bpa on 24/06/2011 09:06

Tony
Hello Ron,
I do have two Baptismal entries for you.

Harland. Emily Rennat of Henry and Charlotte Emma Born 1 February 1849. Baptised 13 August 1850. Fathers occupation Coastguard at Killybegs station. Killybegs Parish. Co.Donegal.

Harland. Henry John of Henry and Grace Emma. Born 15 June 1862. Baptised 27 July 1862. Fathers occupation Coastguard at Killybegs station. Killybegs Parish. Co.Donegal.

Tony Daly

bpa
In ADM 175/70 there is an entry on page 253 pdf for Henry Harland

The entry is
Henry Harland alias Arnold Shadwell London 17 May / 17 Chief Boatman in Charge - last posting Sheephaven Oct /67

I wonder what the "alias" is about ?

crimea1854
Ron

During the Crimean War, the Henry Harland identified by bpa served on HMS Prince Regent with the Baltic Fleet, for which he received the Baltic Medal. A significant number of the CGs on this ship went on to serve in the Black Sea, and he may also have qualified for the Crimea Medal with Sebastopol clasp on HMS Agamemnon, this require a little more research.

I don't know why he choose to use an alias, but the fact he was born in Shadwell, London (circa 1817) may explain his choice of name.

Martin

Merged on 25/06/2011 16:09:35:

Ron

I've just returned from the National Archives, and can confirm that Henry H did serve on HMS Agamemnon. From her Description Book I also extracted the following information - 5' 7 1/2'' tall, fresh complexion, blue eyes and light hair.

His record is as follows:

Royalist - (no further info provided)
Rover - Capt. M.Top
Caledonian - 28 Feb 1843 - 28 April 1845 - Good
Queen - B Mate, 29 April 1845 - 25 May 1849 - V Good
Prince Regent - B Mate, 17 March 1854 - 22 Nov 1854 - VG
Royal Albert - B Mate, 23 Nov 1854 - 14 Feb 1855 - VG
Agamemnon - B Mate, 15 Feb 1855 - 6 July 1855 - VG

Martin
Edited by crimea1854 on 25/06/2011 16:12

beeleye
Hello
When I go to Kew Archives,hopefully next year, where abouts exactly do I look for this information, reference numbers etc regarding my gt gt grandfather Henry Harlond? I have found some of this information but the birth info I got was he was born in Barnstaple Devon. I know nothing about an alias and am very intrigued! Hoping you can help. Thanks
Eve Beeley ( nee Harlond)

crimea1854
Hi Eve, and welcome to the Forum.

Firstly if you are visiting the National Archives for the first time you will need a Readers Ticket before you can access these particular records. Check on-line the documents you need to take as proof of identity - these are essential.

Once you have a ticket you can then use the Catalogue to order the documents, a max. of three at a time. Online research before you go pays real dividends.

I would start with HMS Agamemnons Description Book (ADM 38/7461). I have already listed the ships he had previously served on, but I did not note his ships number for each ship. While not essential, knowing this number saves you having to search every page. For Agamemnon his ships No. was 9, but again a note of caution, there is normally more than one list, so a possibility of 4/5 men with the number 9!

It's then a case of working back through his ships to glean any further information. Oh, I should have also said that you can identify the description book by the 'D' against the ships name in the catalogue entry.

Hope this helps.

Martin

beeleye
many thanks Martin!

Have been unearthing Henry Harlond's Irish coastguard service from the documents available online (Kew).He was mainly in Donegal - Killibegs, Tribane and Teillen West stations. However one of the links (ADM175/70 )says he was also at Sheephaven List 118 although I can't find him mentioned here. Are there any other List 118's or Sheephaven records? He was paid off in 1868 at Kilrush Kilkees(?) ' Valiant and Very good' As these comments are made by other men I presume it meant his conduct rather than being sent to a ship valiant? Do you know any thing about such comments and abbreviations G.M and 3 badges by his name? Sorry to be a nuisance!
Eve

crimea1854
Eve

To find him at Sheephaven you need to download ADM 175/52 pdf 123, this shows his transfer to Kilkee on 7 Oct 1867. Also the date of 1868 you give was not the end of the story. He was pensioned on 15 Oct 1869 from Kilkee see ADM 175/53 pdf 219.

On your specific questions, it is actually TM not GM, and indicates that he was a 'Trained Man'. The 3 badges show that he had been awarded 3 Good Conduct Badges, which were actually stripes of tape worn on the left sleeve, earning him an extra penny/day in pay for each 'badge'. Also I'm sorry to disappoint you, but (HMS) Valiant was the name of the Coastguard vessel that was the HQ Ship for the Limerick CG District.

Regards

Martin

beeleye
Wow Martin - what a star you are!

You must have been busying around on my behalf most of the day. I will certainly look up those references . Not really disappointed about the Valiant comment but does this mean he served on that CG ship too?I next hear of him at Mitchelstown castle around 1877 where he and his wife Grace Emma worked like their son Henry who was born at Killybegs in 1862. It does make me wonder what he did in the intervening years.
Thanks again for your help - if you find out anything more, I would be very grateful. I have a very grainy photocopy of a photo which I am told is Henry and he is wearing a sword- is this usual for a coast guard?

Eve

Merged on 28/02/2012 08:15:09:
Martin
we are off to Kew next month and I'm finalising the long list of items I want to look up re Henry Harlond. I note from your reply to Ron ( He's related to me in some way!) that Henry served on Royalist and Rover - where did this bit of info come from as perhaps I can pursue this further on my visit if I can have a reference. How can I find out when he first joined the service as I can't find anything prior to 1843 when he must have been about 30. I think he must have been serving in England and Crimea and then went to Ireland as a coastguard, but don't know how to verify this. Sorry to get in touch again about this elusive man!
Edited by beeleye on 28/02/2012 08:15

crimea1854
Eve

The name of his previous ships (Royalist and Rover) came from a list in HMS Agamemnon's Ships Description Book. To find the dates of his service on these, and possibly other ships, you would be advised to consult their Description Books. For Rover it is ADM 38/8901, and Royalist ADM 38/8923. I'm afraid that with no ships number you will have to search the whole book. If you start with Rover it should give his number on Royalist.

He first entered the CG service on 8 August 1849, nominated from HMS Queen (ADM 175/19 pdf 304). It was while he was CG that he re-entered the Navy to serve during the Crimean War.

All the very best at the National Archives, and do let us know how you get on.

Martin

beeleye
Thanks for information Martin, will keep in touch! I did discover today from a Navy list of ships that his ship Queen was in manoevres in Bantry Bay in 1846 47. My guess is he loved the countryside / area so much that he wanted to stay there! Do you know if there any written records men of joining the Coastguard kept giving any more information?

Also a conicidence that our eldest daughter's partner comes from Bantry!
Will let you know how I get on.
regards
Eve

Merged on 02/03/2012 17:07:35:
Martin
Have just been looking through this 'thread' from 6.2011 and note that in Ron's first comment he notes that he has

" some pictures of GGrandad, and the Coastguard Stations that he served in, which I wil download as soon as I have worked out how to do it."

Can you direct me to where he did download them or tell me how I can contact him so I can see these photos as Henry is my GG grandfather too and I'venever seen a real photo of him, just a very grainy photocopy, so I would be VERY interested!

Just looking through the Crimean War medals section on Ancestry and found Henry in both Royal Albert and Agamemnon.
Regards
Eve
Edited by beeleye on 02/03/2012 17:07

Jump to Forum: