View Thread

Print Thread
James Scott McClaughlin
Bangkok
Please can somebody help me get some information on my ggrandfather James?

I have his naval record. He joined the RN in 1853 aged 11 and left in 1877 to join the coastguard. He served on the HMS Topaz 9/10/1877 to 1/7/1878 mainly on the northeast coast of Ireland. He then served on the HMS Bellisle from 2/7/1878 to 11/9/1892 when he retired. His Royal Navy continuous service number was 26082.

He married in Kilkeel parish church on 6/12/1877and the first child was born in the coastguard cottage at Leestone, Kilkeel in 1878. Further births were Moneydarabeg 1880, Leestone 1881, Leestone 1884, Maghereagh 1886, Moville 1888, and the last three in Belfast.

I've tried searching around online using all the variants of McClaughlin but have not found any information on his time in the coastguard. I'm probably looking in the wrong places so if anybody can help I really would appreciate it.

Best Regards

James Scott McLaughlin.

crimea1854
Hi

Since you make reference to his service after 1873 I assume that you have already downloaded his later service record ( http://www.nation...ultcount=1 ). I would have expected this to identify the CG Stations he served at.

The best way to track a man's CG service is to use the ADM 175 records that can be downloaded from the NA website for free. I have checked both ADM 175/44 and 45 and your man is there. However, this particular series of records ends for Ireland at ADM 175/45, you then have to rely on the above service record. One word of caution, the ADM 175 files are very large!

Martin

SIMON BRYANT
Hi James
My gt grandfather John Stevens served on Topaz at Crookhaven from July 1877 to April 1878 and on Belle Isle also at Crookhaven from August 1878 until April1879 John only served in West Cork around this time. So maybe Topaz was transferred to the north about that time
Simon Bryant

crimea1854
Simon

Can I just correct a misunderstanding, Topaz and Belleisle, while ships, were CG administrative units, the CG men still served at land-based CG Stations, other than perhaps a summer training cruise. In the event of a national crisis these men would have been expected to man this ship, hence the need for the training cruise. Each CG District had one such ship, which in the case of Ireland meant two, one for Limerick District and the other for Kingstown. Each land based CG station was allocated to a ship. As ships became older they were replaced, so in the records for Kingstown you will find Pallas, Audacious, Vanguard, Iron Duke, Topaz and Belleisle.

Regards

Martin

Bangkok
Hi Simon and Martin,

Many thanks for your very helpful info.

What you both say does seem to fit in. It appears to me that James left the navy and joined the CG on 9/10/1877. The girl he married was Annabella Jones who was born in 1861 at Youghal and baptised at St. Marys, Clonmel, Cork. Her father was George Jones, a coastguard (Youghal) and his father Samuel Jones(Cove, Ballymacotter/Roberts Cove) was also a coastguard. Samuel died at Stainsheath Hospital, Cobh 12/10/1847. I'm not sure how fast the wooing of Annabella by James was but when they married in 1878 James was 35 and Annabella was 16. George Jones was Witness to the marriage. Maybe James was in Cork at some time but more likely George was moved from Cork to Kilkeel and they met there.
I don't know what happened to George but Annabella's mother Helen was with the McClaughlin family in Belfast in 1901 and alone at the same address in 1911. She died 1928.

There is an article on CGOY relating to George Jones raising the alarm on the Fenian landing.

You were right about the downloads Martin, they were rather large. Nonetheless I did manage to find four entries relating to James, all Leestone or Annalong.

You also have a picture of the old coastguard station at Leestone which would have been where James was born.

His naval records have him:
Topaze 9/10/1877-22/1/1878 Leestones
23/1/1878-1/7/1878 Annalong
Belleisle 2/7/1878-1/11/1881 Annalong
2/11/1881-4/4/1887 Annalong and Leestones
5/4/1887-7/5/1890 Moville
8/5/1890-10/6/1890 Moville
11/7/1890-11/9/1892 Kingstown

Traced Pens 27/8/1892
Traced Med 27/9/1892
(Does this mean there may be pension and medical records for him?) In 1901 census he was blind.

James was also on the Topaze in the 1860s in the Pacific. They nicked a couple of statues from Easter Island for Queen Victoria and also put a plaque up on the island of Juan Fernandez where Alexander Selkirk was marooned (Robinson Crusoe).

Once again thank you both for all your help,

All the best

Jim

crimea1854
Hi Jim

I'm pleased that you found what you were looking for in the ADM 175 files.

On the notes on his record, you are correct with the 'Traced Pens', but the 'Traced M' records the date of the award of his RN Long Service Good Conduct Medal. This would have been issued named.

http://www.coastg...cle_id=257

Martin

Thomas John McCloughlin
Hi there,
do you know where I could get a picture of the RN LSGC medal for the time 1892. I guess it was the type of 1848.
best wishes
Thomas McCloughlin

crimea1854
Thomas

The design of the medal remains the same today as in 1892, apart from the monarchs head. Can I suggest that you read my short article:

http://www.coastg...cle_id=257

Martin

Jump to Forum: