View Thread

Print Thread
Coastguard marriage follow up.
GEKAY01
Hi Tony!New boy on the block,delighted to have found a CGd that turned out to be my G'G'G'G'dad+his Wife,on the Coast Guard marriages list.Both surnames were near enough ,to be accepted.Originally Binsteed+Widger,printed as Benstead+Wedger.
My request is,where to find the Marriage cert;I have children and station locations,last known family address,and after his Wife's death,census 'quotes' for two later Wive's.
He moved from Ballinamintra to Waterford City after his 1st Wife's death,after which event there is no further trace of the three Daughters he had,but I have his two sons as Royal Navy entrants .
So,before I mix you up any further,Iwould also like a lead to the Girls,of any nature,as my efforts have not been successful.
Thank you for your patience.
George.

bpa
Some first names and dates would help.

However the surname is very unusual so if the person in questions is Richard William Binstead (b 1824 father Aaron) who married Jane Wedger (b. 1830) in May 1852 in Drumcannon, Waterford then the Civil Marriage cert can be obtained from the GRO office in Dublin
http://www.groire...search.htm

The site pilot.familysearch.org has thr GRO index and can be used to find a record which can then be later obtained from GRO office.

A Jane Benstead died in Waterford in 1878 - supposed to be born 1832 so I suppose this is Richard's wife as age on death records is usually estimated and since she died in Waterford then it is possible that Mary Anne Benstead (b 1866 d 1884) and Johanna Benstead (b. 1866 d. 1901) are daughters who also died in Waterford.

A Charlotte Benstead married in Waterford in 1887 possibly to Thomas Keeffe.

Edit:
An Elizabeth Binstead married in 1888 and a Jane Binsteed married in 1889 - both in Waterford.

If there are now more Binstead/Benstead/Binsteed than you expected then it is possible there are 2 Binstead families in Waterford.
Edited by bpa on 29/12/2010 01:35

crimea1854
Hi

While his does not answer your question you may be interested to know that Richard W Binsteed had quite an eventful naval career.

From the Nomination Books, Richard entered the CG Service from HMS Resolute in 1851. This ship was Commanded by Captain Horatio Thomas Austin, who in command of squadron (together with Assistance, Capt. Erasmus Ommanney, and two steam tenders) went in search of Sir John Franklin who went missing during an attempt to find the North West Passage.

Austin organised some of very succesful sledging expeditions, and the crew published a number of hand written newspapers during their time in the Arctic - The Illustrated Arctic News. Extant copies of this paper are held by the British Museum. For this service Richard was awarded the Arctic 1818-1855 medal, in my opinion one of the most attractive medals ever produced.

During a later expedition the Resolute became trapped in the ice, and was abandoned. Some years later she was found by the Americans, and freed, being returned to Britain following a refit. When she was eventually broken up, some of her timbers were used to make a desk that was presented by Queen Victoria to the then President of the US. This desk is still in use today by the President.

Subsequent to joining the CG Service he returned to the Navy during the Crimean War, serving on HMS Duke of Wellington, Ships No.57, where he was rated Able Seaman, and awarded the Baltic Medal.

Regards

Martin

Edited by crimea1854 on 29/12/2010 22:20

GEKAY01
bpa,Martin,my thanks for amazing collection of information.M y apologies for not including necessary names.
My task now is to mull over the given facts and re sort my extant findings!
Thank you both,again.
George.

crimea1854
George

Based on the information provided by bpa, and that on RW Binsteed's CG record, I believe I've now traced RWB's parents.

He was born on 27 August 1821, and Christened on 10 September 1823 at St.Marys, Portsea, Hampshire, his parents being Aaron and Elizabeth Binstead. There was a marriage between Aaron and Elizabeth Jefferd/Jefford on 17 October 1805 (four days prior to the battle of Trafalgar) at Alverstoke, Hampshire.

In the 1841 Census Aaron (55), whose occupation was given as ropemaker, is living with a daughter, Harriett Binstead (15) on Portsea Island, Hampshire.

Martin

Edited by crimea1854 on 29/12/2010 22:19

GEKAY01
Martin,thank you for that info;seems as though these careers are imprinted on my gene's,though I never was a ropemaker only a lowly ropeworks worker!
Thank you again.
George.

crimea1854
George

While looking for something else on the NA website I came across the following, which for £2.00 seems excellent value for money (58 pages). While not the Log for HMS Resolute, it is for one of the ships that accompanied her.

http://www.nation...ultcount=3

Martin

GEKAY01
Martin,wonderful!I have the laddie Binsteed down as being discharged on the payoff at Woolwich 9th Oct;1851.After which nomination to CGUARD followed.
It is now a job for my Bro; in Liverpool to do the 'clericals'and obtain that record.From the looks of things it should prove rivetting.
Thank you for passing on that information.
George.

GEKAY01
Just a thank you from the least sharpest knife in the box! Have had a most interesting wander through informative details provided,which of course made as many questions as answers,I should also have said at the outset that a tree is in my possession.Most of it true,some not.some missing.
For all the generous help and enjoyment,thank you again.
George.

GEKAY01
G'Day ALL, just spent an hour and 30 minutes in ever decreasing circles trying to access muster books/rolls for Richard William Benstead.Reason being ,I wanted to fill a blank 'twixt his R.N service and what turns out to have been a private expedition in H.M.S Resolute,1850-1860.
I am doing this to be sure he was aboard at the event of the freezing in of the vessel and incidentally obtaining a copy of the"Arctic News".
Then,all things taking an equal strain,to see if the rare medal is honestly applied to his name.
All help greatly appreciated.
George.

Jump to Forum: