View Thread

Print Thread
Trying to help my Mum
akdave
My Mum is trying to do a family tree and has hit a dead end. I guess when you go back far enough they are all dead in the end. (that's me trying to be funny)
Here is what I have.
I only have a little info myself, His name was Thomas Lewis, born in Melford Wales 1800 married to a Jane ? she was born in Cornwall England, we picked them up on the 1841 census living in Co Cork Ireland and he is listed as a Coastguard, next time we pick him up he is in Portsmouth England, from there he retired, and I will send you more info as I get it Love Mum.
Thomas Lewis Retired Chief/ Boat Redcastle/Pension 8th May 1860 this is from the Coastguard Records at Kew National Archives and Jacqueline says the records there are free we of course would like to find out when and from where he started, good luck M.
Any reply is looked forward to.
AKDAVE

crimea1854
Hi Akdave, and welcome to the Forum.

You will see that I have deleted your other posts on the grounds that they were duplicating the above request.

In answer to your question, it would appear that Thomas Lewis was first nominated to the CG Service from St Davids on 5 October 1822, with a first posting to Ballychroan. He made to following subsequent moves:

1 June 1829 to Colaris
10 Oct 1830 to Castletown
31 May 1836 to Ganish
31 August 1837 to Bognor (England)
7 September 1838 to Stokes Bay
29 November 1852 to St Marys, from where he was discharged with an allowance of £38/annum on 30 November 1853.

Regards

Martin

crimea1854
After posting the above reply it occurred to me that at no time did Thomas serve in Cornwall; from this one can only assume that he meet and married his wife while serving in Ireland. It therefore follows that if she was born in Cornwall then there is a very strong possibility that his wife was the daughter of CG with whom he was working at the time.

Having looked at the 1841 Census for Alverstoke, their daughter Ann was only 8 months old on the night of the census (6 June), which puts her birth around Oct/Nov 1840. Having checked the BDM index I think that the registration of her birth was in the Oct/Dec quarter of 1840, with a likely entry in Vol. 7, page 17 – Alverstoke.

I would be inclined to order this certificate, giving the fathers name and mothers first name as a check. If it is the right one, then it will include Jane’s maiden name. Armed with this information I would then see if there was a CG of the same name working with Thomas around the time he and Jane were married.

Martin

Edited by crimea1854 on 30/10/2010 15:00

akdave
Thank you, Martin, for the prompt reply.

I have forwarded the information you supplied to my Mum and await her response.
Also note, I edited my profile.

akdave
Many thanks again Martin.
I received this reply from my Mum.

Hi Dead end Dave that was great info you got for us, it opened up very easily and so I forwarded on to Jacqueline who I might add has ordered the birth cert. already, so with your help we now have a little window of light in this " Dead End " and I will keep you posted. Love Mum

I also received this reply from my Aunt Jacqueline.

Just a quick note to say thank you for posting the message on the coastguard forum that was the site i was on but did not have the confidence to ask on the forum. as suggested i have ordered ann lewis' birth cert now this can take up to 16 days to arrive so stand by to go back with more info and see what you can find out for these two batty old ladies love aunt jacqueline

The thanks they send to me belong to you.
akdave

akdave
ive been trying to find the right names for thomas' postings and i have

Ballychroan is Ballycrovane Bay Cork Colaris is Collorus near Ardgroom Kerry Castletown is Beara Peninsula Cork Ganish is Garnish Beara Peninsula Cork and Bognor Stokes Bay and St Marys are all around portsmouth so yes we have the right lewis so as i have said to your mum on many occasions weve got the bugger now hopefully we will find out some more when this cert comes thanks for all your help but keep standing by we aint finished with you yet love aunt jacqueline
Well David I got our copy off Anns cert back and it says her mums name is Jane Wells now there is a dot above the e so it could be Wills not sure but im now leaving this in your hands to work your magic love aunt jacqueline
Can anyone help me make the magic happen?
Thank you in advance. Akdave

crimea1854
Well it's mixed news! On the 18 November 1822 William Wells, Commissioned Boatman, was transferred to Ballychroan CGS having recently been promoted. He remained at this station until 3 July 1827, when he was removed to Dunay Point.

I had hoped that I would be able to trace him back to Cornwall and provide proof positive this was Jane's father. Unfortunately this was not to be. Prior to his promotion he was stationed at Valentia, having been nominated to the CG Service from the Revenue Cruiser Dolphin when she paid off in 1821. Regrettably the Muster Rolls for the Revenue Cruisers have not survived for this period. However, from the Navy Lists the RC Dolphin was stationed in Plymouth.

So on this basis I'm 95% certain this is Jane's father.

In the hope that he was transferred back to England, where it might be possible to pick him up on the Census, I traced his subsequent career:

31 May 1829 from Dunay Point to Mouth of the Boyne
25 May 1838(?) to Nanny Water
24 December 1844 to Lambay
Discharged 18 July 1845.

So I'm afraid he remained in Ireland for the remainder of his service. One final point, while the earlier records say 'Wells' the later ones appear to read 'Wills'.

I hope this provides some further leads in your search.

Regards

Martin

Edited to correct date
Edited by crimea1854 on 26/11/2010 07:34

akdave
Many thanks again Martin. I have forwarded your reply to the 2 batty old ladies. Hopefully this info will give them something to chew on.

Happy "Turkey Day" from Alaska.
Akdave

Jump to Forum: