View Thread

Print Thread
Benjamin Hooper
Richardhooper
In the extract from the Navy List 1838, Officers Employed in Coastguard Service- Irish Stations, there is listed under Chief Officiers - Lieutenants " Hooper Benjamin" and the date "10 April 1826". I asssume the date refers to the date of industion. IU can find no reference to this person in the records database nor elsewhere. However, a person of the same name occupied the station at Dirk at the ime of the Griffith Survey c. 1850 and the family is traceable to the present day. I would appreciate hepl in finding any further information on this Benjamin Hooper who appears to have been part of the Coastguard service from 1826 to 1838 at least.

Richard Hooper

crimea1854
Hi Richard, and welcome to the Forum.

I have checked the Coast Guard Establishment Book for Dirk Cove, and can find no Benj. Hooper serving here in the CG Service for the period 1836-61.

You are perfectly correct, Lt. Benj. Hooper first entered the CG Service on 10 April 1826, with a first posting to Cadgwith, from his place of residence, Torpoint. He subsequently had the following moves:

8 April 1828 to Mullion
14 May 1828 to Polkerris
25 May 1829 to Polruan
10 Jan 1846 to Polkerris from where he was discharged following his promotion to Commander (RN) in February 1852. Fortunately this covers two census dates, so with a location perhaps you will be able to establish if this is your man.

Out of interest Lt. Hooper had quite an eventful career in the navy before entering the CG Service, qualifying, and receiving, three clasps to his Naval General Service Medal:

12 Oct 1798 - as a Vol/Mid on HMS Foudroyant
London 13 March 1806 - Midshipman on HMS London
Off Mardoe 6 July 1812 - Lieut HMS Calypso

This medal is known to exist, and was in a private collection.

Hooper passed for a Lieut. on 13 December 1809. The Navy List for 1853 has him as a Reserve Commander on half pay.

Regards

Martin

PS: I have found him, and his family, on the 1851 Census, where his approx. year of birth is given as 1790, Antony, Cornwall.
Edited by crimea1854 on 13/09/2010 15:38

bpa
There is a mention of Benj. Hooper on the Calypso on page 35 of this book.

http://books.google.ie/books?pg=PA34&ei=X_-NTJWeM8eB4Abu4fz7Cg&ct=result&id=jWUBAAAAQAAJ#v=twopage&q&f=false

Also I think some census info is summarised in his Genuki entry
http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/Coastguards/H-I.html

edit:

In "The United service journal and naval and military magazine" for 1831 page 285 there is the following under Marriages

Jan. 5th. At Fowey, Lieut. Benjamin Hooper, R.N. of the Coast Guard Station, Polruan, to Miss Hearle, daughter of Capt. Hearle, R.N. of Fowey.
http://books.google.ie/books?pg=PA285&ei=uHqOTK7DAqeV4gasnaTdCg&ct=result&id=8bk8AAAAYAAJ#v=twopage&q=hooper&f=false

Edited by bpa on 13/09/2010 20:35

bpa
The Lieut Benj Hooper doesn't look like the Benj Hooper that is living in Cork.

However I found a 2nd Benj. J Hooper who is in the coastguard but he was only a Master RN.

See Page 5 of below
http://books.google.ie/books?id=3qpbAAAAQAAJ&pg=RA4-PT169&dq=benjamin+hooper+navy&hl=en&ei=NT-PTKraEcig4Qb5uKHgDQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=8&ved=0CEUQ6AEwBzgy#v=onepage&q=benjamin%20hooper%20navy&f=false

It is an accounts entry about persons who are now employed in Coastguard and under Masters Royal Navy section

Hooper, Benjamin J, Age 37 Date of Appt as Chief Officer . 19 June 1857 Gross pay £182 10s, Previous Services: Royal Navy 3 Nov 1840 to 20 June 1856
Edited by bpa on 14/09/2010 10:46

Richardhooper
Thanks to those who repied. " Benjamin Hooper Coastguard" is a very unusual combination. Perhaps we have a doppelganger.
In the small parish of Rathbarry over the period 1806-24 a Benjamin Hooper living in Dirk had 6 chidren and a different Benjamin Hooper in the same parish had 3 children over the period 1816 to 1832. A portion of the coastguard station at Dirk, Rathbarry, Clonakilty, Co Cork was occupied by a Benjamin Hooper in 1852. A grandson of this person, another Banjamin born c.1845, occupied this building and land until c. 1920 and two of his great grandsons represented Ireland in the Olympic Marthon. In the absence of any other evidence it would appear that the Cork Hooper's connection to the coast guard was only as a tennant of a shared location. This opinion strengthed by the fact that four small houses adjacent were rented by the Board of Customs to individuals who may have been the actual Coastguard Officers, named James Bridle, William Edwards,William Fordham, George Broad and , in addition, The Board of Customs itself rented a boathouse from the owners of the land. So a hugh coincidence of names and connection was just that!!
Richard Hooper

crimea1854
Richard, sorry you have drawn a blank. However, I can confirm that James Bridle was Chief Boatman in Charge at Dirk Cove. William Edwards was a Commissioned Boatman, William Fordham and a John (George?) Broad were Boatman also at the same station at the same time, so I think you are right about Benjamin.

Martin

Barry Hooper
I am glad i can clear this subject up for ye slightly. My name is Barry Hooper and i am grandson of the last Hooper to be born in Dirk Cove. The Benjamin Hooper who was in Dirk Cove at the time was of a family who have lived in the Parish well before the arrival of the coastguards in Ireland.
As i have grown up around Dirk i can confirm that the old coastguard station built in the early 1800's was not a building occupied by the Hooper family as they lived in a house approximately 100 meters away.
This house has often been confused by people as the coastguard station as the later station (built on the top of the hill) in the 1860's/70's also constructed a boat house and slip next to the Hooper's house which is clearly show in the original drawings.
The land and house which made up the Hooper farm also had a number of other buildings around it, one of them was a rocket house and was built between the period of the first and 2nd station been built, which there was a history of family members being involved with if this is where the name could have popped up from?
Richard, if you want to contact me at any point i have alot of family information, and we still have a house in dirk, although not the original house being discussed above.

Jump to Forum: