View Thread

Print Thread
Seasalter Coast Guard Station 1851
gemini
John Fletcher Elwood was stationed at Seasalter in 1851 as a coast guard. In the 1851 Census his residence is given as 17 Cliff Station Seasalter. Was this the CG Station? and does anyone have a photo of it or other photos of Seasalter? Any info and especially photos much appreciated.
Gemini

markt
Hi Gemini, we live in the old Seasalter Marsh Station, which is about a mile up the road from where the cliff Station was. I have some photos of the old stations, although not when they were in use. I have one of the cliff station from the early 20th century, by which time there were houses popping up around it so it doesn't show how isolated the old stations were. At least it shows what view the guards in the station had. The 'Cliff' station wasn't really on a cliff but actually on top of a slope down to the sea. This gives a really good view across the thames estuary towards Sheppey and Essex. The Marsh station was built right beside the water to make it easier to launch the boats. I've tried to upload the photos so hopefully they will be in a gallery soon.
Markt

Tcuzz
Hi markt,
Can you tell me the location of the seasalter cliff coastguard/homes. My ggg grandfather was a coastguard there he shows on my research so far as being there definitely between but may have been longer 1859-1871 Edward beer. He is on the census as living in no' 11 and then no 15
I am struggling to find the physical location of the station and where the cottages are/where located.
Any help is appreciated
Regards
Tracy

Jump to Forum: