View Thread

Print Thread
Coastguard Stations
Lesley Brook
I have two queries about coastguard stations that I hope someone can help me with:

1. Michael Hall was appointed to Baldoyle Station in 1836 and I've seen the photographs of Baldoyle on this website. How old is the building please? I.e. are the photos of the same building that he would have worked in?

2. Hamilton Keon/Keown was appointed to Tasala (sp?) Station in 1821. Does anyone know what is the correct spelling of this station and where is it?

Thanks,
Lesley

crimea1854
Hi Lesley

Re your second question, could I ask where your original information as to his posting and the date came from? The reason I ask is that there is a Service Record for a Hamilton Keown available for download from the NA, but his date of birth is 24 January 1846, Portsmouth, but he might be a son.

Martin

Lesley Brook
Info re Hamilton Keon came from ADM 175/99 folio 55. Known children are Ellen who married Michael Hall c 1841, William who was parish clerk at Culfeightrin near Ballycastle, and Margaret b c 1834. It's an unusual name, will look into the possible son thanks.

bpa
Lesley Brook wrote:
2. Hamilton Keon/Keown was appointed to Tasala (sp?) Station in 1821. Does anyone know what is the correct spelling of this station and where is it?

Terela - Co. Down - I think it was on a small headland to west of Tyrella on modern maps

He was nominated from/removed from Downpatrick on 15 Feb 1821.
Edited by bpa on 06/04/2010 08:54

Lesley Brook
Great, thanks. How did you know about the transfer from Downpatrick?

bpa
Page 53 of ADM 175-14 which is a free download but very large.

This page lists all the free ADM 175 indexes and their contents http://www.coastg...icle_id=93

A useful historic map is available from OSI.

The following URL will show the Terala CG station.
http://ims0.osiem...4,835442,6

It defaults to current maps and as it is in N.Ireland - it will initially show blank or OSI. Click on Historic item in "Preview Map"Panel to get 1840's map.

Edited by bpa on 06/04/2010 09:53

Lesley Brook
OK, thanks, am in process of downloading ADM 175/13 to 18 but struggling with anything over 100MB. Wish they'd break the files up.

Barbara Lomas
Hi......was wondering if you had any luck in finding out anything about Terela (Tyrella) station in 1821? I currently live in one of the coastguard cottages at Tyrella and am trying to research their history but finding it very hard to get information. Barbara Lomas

bpa
See https://books.goo...mp;f=false

Basically it says - many early coastguard stations were built by locals and then leased to coastguard - so there'll be no official record unlike when many stations were rebuilt in 1870s(?) and the plans by OPW are in the national archive.

gesco
Barbara Lomas wrote:

Hi......was wondering if you had any luck in finding out anything about Terela (Tyrella) station in 1821? I currently live in one of the coastguard cottages at Tyrella and am trying to research their history but finding it very hard to get information. Barbara Lomas

Merged on 03/03/2016 15:46:20:
I am planning a 'Who do you think you are?' surprise trip for a friend. Her Great Grandfather Jocelyn Crichton served at Tyrella Coastguard station from 1872 to about 1883. His daughter was born at Tyrella in 1879. When would the coastguard cottages have been built as they do not appear on the Griffiths valuation map of 1864.? Griffiths updates seem to point to the early 20th century. Would the families have lived in the village or in the coastguard station?.
Edited by gesco on 03/03/2016 15:46

Barbara Lomas
I cannot find out when the current Coast Guard station was built....the OPW in Dublin handed over ADM files, architects drawings etc to Belfast after partition and they have disappeared into some dusty dungeon somewhere. The Tyrella Watch House was built in the 1820-1823 period and that is all that shows on the 1830's map. in the 1863 map there are other buildings and it was referred to as Tyrella Coastguard station rather than just the Watch House. However, it was not the full row of Coast Guard Cottages that appears on the 1903 map. There is no village nearby, but the early Coast Guards stayed in local houses as far as I can gather. I hope that helps. The Watch House and all the Coastguard Cottages are still inhabited, and although modernised a little inside they still retain their basic shape; although the communal Wash House was demolished quite some time ago, the outbuildings that held the privvies etc are still there!

Merged on 31/01/2017 18:17:32:
Further research shows that the 7 terrace cottages were built in 1868..OPW 73; the station is listed in the 1901 Census but closed before 1911 Census. Interestingly there were detailed plans drawn up for a new station in 1899, but they obviously came to nothing.
Edited by Barbara Lomas on 31/01/2017 18:17

Jump to Forum: