View Thread

Print Thread
John Vincent Rohu, Coastguard.
Tony
I am interested in finding out more of the Coastguard Service life of John Vincent Rohu who was first posted to Salcombe and Stonehouse in Devon.
Later on he was stationed at Burtonport and Elly Bay in Ireland.
Any information will be welcome.
Tony Daly

crimea1854
Tony

I'm most probably stating the obvious here, but there is a photograph of Rohu in the Gallery section of the site.

Checking the Establishment Books I have put together the following for his career up to the 1860's, from then it gets more tricky.

Nominated from HMS Fly on 30 Dec 1837, with a first posting to Salcombe.
28 March 1839 to Bourne Bottom
21 Oct 1841 to Rutland - Ireland
24 Dec 1847 to Melroy
6 Sept 1848 Promoted to Commissioned Btn removed to Innisbofin
13 Sept 1856 Promoted to Chief Btn removed to Ely Bay
25 Aug 1858 to Keel
10 May 1859 to Achill Beg
25 April 1860 to Malahide

During the Crimean War he served in both the Baltic and Crimea - see Photo Gallery for details.

According to Ajax's Establishment Book, Rohu was born in Millbrook, Devon on 27th July 1815.

Hope this is ok.

Martin

Tony
Many Thanks Martin for your, as always, valuable input. I know it will be much apprecited.

Tony

crimea1854
For those interested in John Vincent Rohu’s experiences during his time in the Royal Navy during the Crimea War, Roy Rohu has kindly submitted an article in the form of a transcription of a diary kept by JVR while on HMS Royal Albert and HMS Agamemnon. This can be read in the Articles: Life & Times section of the site, and provides a fascinating insight into the day to day life of an ordinary seaman.

Martin

Jump to Forum: