View Thread

Print Thread
Behenna/Bond/Brown Coastguards West Coast of Ireland
Lyn
I am trying to find out more about my Behenna/Bond HM Coastguard relatives and their families, who married on Achill Island in the 1860s and had children there. George Bond (born Devon, was a Chief Officer, and a widower with children) - married in Dec 1863, Achill, a Jane Browne (possibly nee Moore), who had four children by a previous marriage - the children were Sophia Browne (my GG Grandmother), born about 1847, Louisa Browne, born about 1849, Jane Browne, born about 1851 in Inishkea, and Robert Browne, born about 1853 in Liscannor. I do not know Jane's husband's first name, but suspect he could have also been in the coastguards/Naval because of the two different coastal venues of the births of two of their children. George and Jane also had two girls between them, Elizabeth, and Ellen Bond who must have died young.
George Bond's first child from his previous marriage was George T Bond, born Bullsmouth, Co Mayo about 1852, and a younger son, James, was born in about 1861 in Beg, Achill. (he also had William, who died, Mary Emily, and Edward John)
Samuel Behenna (my GG Grandfather, born Devon) married Jane Browne's daughter, Sophia. Both families moved back to Devon before the 1881 census.
If anyone has any information, I would love to be able to find more about them, and especially about the Browne family. I already have some info from "family search" giving the 1863/4 marriages, and births of two of the Bond children from the later marriage, and also births of some of the Behenna children.
Lyn

kilmeny
Hello Lyn,

Oooo goody...more possible Browne info on Achill in the 1860s !

Have you seen the foll. on IGI?

Jane Browne or Moore, Marr. George Bond 12.12.1863 Achill

then , (assuming your Jane 's maiden name was indeed Moor)
Jane Moor Marr.John Browne 9.5.1845 Galway

Could this be right info for you to pursue ?
I'll follow your postings eagerly, and have alerted other Browne researchers.

Kilmeny
Edited by kilmeny on 26/11/2009 22:39

aussienoel
According to The National Archives file ADM 175/19, Samuel Behenna was appointed as a Boatman to the Keel CG Station on Achill Island on 8th November 1862. This was his first appointment.

He was appointed there from HMS Aboukir.

The file covers establishments up to 1862, so does not say where he went after Keel.

Knowing the last ship he served on in the Royal Navy, you will be able to work back from HMS Aboukir and obtain his complete RN record.

Noel

crimea1854
Following on from Noels' good advice, there are two possible service records available to download from the National Archives:

http://www.nation...5Fdate+asc

The date given is a date of birth, so the first Samuel may be the father, and the second (born 1869) a son. These will only their service history from 1873, so there will be a gap from 1862 till 1873.

I believe the first to be the father, because there was a Samuel Behenna serving on HMS Winchester during the second China War (Ord., Ships No. 177) he was born in Devonport and his medal appears to have ben sent to HMS Aboukir on 11/10/62.

Regards

Martin

Martin

Lyn
Hello kilmeny,
Thanks for your reply and the Jane Browne/Moore who married George Bond is definitely the right Jane, plus the Jane Moor/John Browne marriage in 1845 fits in with the dates of the Browne children - my GG Grandmother, Sophia was the eldest child and from her death date (aged 48 in 1896) means that she must have been born about 1848. I really hope I can discover more about her and whether her father was also naval.
Thanks again,
Lyn

Lyn
Hi Noel,
I had not known exactly when Samuel Behenna had been posted to Ireland so this is really good - can I view this file from the National Archives on line and trace his naval history back, or do I have to contact them?
Thanks very much,
lyn

Lyn
Hi Martin,
Thank you, I found the records of the two Samuel Behennas and they are father and son as I know their year of birth. I am new to this and not sure how you found that Samuel Behenna was serving on HMS Winchester during the second China War or how you know his medal appeared to be sent to HMS Aboukir on 11/10/62! I would love to know what to do to access this info!
Thanks again,
Lyn

crimea1854
Hi Lyn

As a collector of medals awarded to men in the RN, I have a number of medal rolls. In most instances you need to know what ships a man served on to check the rolls, but I have a very good book, written by a fellow collector, that has all the men who served during the 2nd China War arranged alphabetically. Each time a question like yours is posted on the Forum I check to see if the man is on it - of course it helps no end if the name is a little unusual Smile

To answer your question to Noel, this can only be done in person at the National Archives. However, because you have his Ships Number while serving on HMS Winchester you could get a quote online for a print-out of his entry from her Ships Description Book, which is in ADM 38/9351. If you do go this route give the as much information as possible when making the application.

However, if you go to the NA you will need to order HMS Aboukir's Description Book (ADM 38/7434), which should provide a full service history prior to him joining the CG.

Out of interest I also checked the 1861 Census and found him on HMS Styx, in Port Royal, Jamaica, now rated as an Able Seaman.

Regards

Martin

Lyn
Hi Martin,

Thanks very much for your interesting reply about finding out from the National Archives re my Samuel Behenna, and for the info you gave me on him. I will try to get a quote on line from them as you suggested. I have also now found Samuel on HMS Styx on the 1861 census - so thanks for mentioning this. Amazingly I recently was able to access a photo of his and his wife Sophia's gravestone in Plymouth after putting "Behenna" into The Devon Records Office searchbox - it was quite a surprise as I did not know if a grave still existed!
Thanks again,
Lyn

rosedolbear
Hello
My name is Rosemary Dolbear and my Great Great Grandfather was George Bond and Great Grandfather Edward John Bond. I can see you posted this some time ago, but I would be interested in any information you have on George Bond. I had assumed that Jane Moore/ Bond was my Great Great Grandmother, but this looks different to the information you have. I was wondering how you managed to find out he had been married before.

On the family search I can see a George Bond married at Westport Ireland. Would this be the same George Bond do you think?

I look forward to hearing from you. Any information would be gratefully received.

Rosemary

crimea1854
Welcome to the Forum Rosemary.

As you say it was some time since Lyn last logged on to the Forum, so an email to her might be worth while (just use the PM at the bottom of her last post).

Re your question about George Bond, I can provide some information, but don't want to repeat what you may already have, i.e. his service record, place and date of birth, where he was nominated from etc. so if you can let me know what you're after I will try and help.

Martin

Merged on 28/09/2013 21:57:42:
Rosemary

I'm posting a reply to your PM on the Forum because there may be another descendant of George Bond who could find the following information useful.

George was originally nominated to the Coastguard Service from HMS Hibernia, with a first posting to Bullsmouth on 21 July 1849 (ADM 175/19 pdf 248). It was while he was still at this CG Station that he was promoted to Commissioned Boatman on 1 Nov 1856 (175/19 - 247).

On 1 June 1859 he was transferred to Keel (175/19 - 243), then on 8 Nov 1861 he was promoted to Chief Boatman and removed to Achilbeg (175/19 - 245), then on 6 Feb 1865 to Bullsmouth, and 17 May 1866 to Ballyvaughn following his promotion to Principle Officer 2nd Class. There is a gap in his service that I've yet to fill, but he was pensioned from Tramore on 7 Dec 1876 (175/43 - 354)

One of the records in the CG Ships Establishment Books gives his date and place of birth as Mothercombe, Devon, 21 October 1822 (ADM 175/39 - 22).

There are pension papers for a CG named George Bond in the National Archives online catalogue that look to be your man, but these have to be ordered, and take about three weeks to come through - ADM 29/59/444. You could take a chance and order them: http://discovery....i=C9025621

Turning to Jane Brown (nee Moore). I've checked the CG records and believe John Brown died on 9 April 1855 from 'disease of the stomach' while at Freagh Point CG Station (ADM 175/19 - 204). This record also indicates that he had previously seen service on HMS Prince Regent during the Crimean War, being awarded the Baltic Medal. The medal roll also shows a George Bond served on the same ship at the same time, but at this stage I cannot be 100% certain it's your George (the above pension record may provide this proof).

Staying with Jane, there was a Chief Officer, Francis Moore, working at an adjacent CG Station to John Brown, so it's not inconceivable that Jane was his daughter, but again I have no proof of this.

Hope this is of interest and help.

Martin
Edited by crimea1854 on 29/09/2013 07:30

Lyn
Rosemary

I thought I would also put a message on the forum in case anyone else is interested in it, but have also sent you a PM about the Bond family. I have a lot of information on George Bond from a descendant who has extensively researched them. George Bond married, (on 11 Feb 1850 in Dugort, Achill), Mary Wilson, daughter of Jasper Wilson, also a coastguard. Mary died about 1862 and their eldest son, George T Bond was apparently sent to Greenwich Naval School about the same time. In 1863 George then married Jane Browne (widow of John Browne - also a coastguard). Jane was the daughter of another coastguard - Francis Moore - his name was on the marriage certificate as a coastguard. It was very interesting for me to see Martin's info on John Browne, as I had not known when he had died. George Bond retired about 1876 and the family moved back to live in Plymouth, where he died in 1888.

Look forward to hearing from you,

Best wishes,

Lyn

crimea1854
Lyn

George Townsend Bond, Greenwich Hospital School entry:

http://discovery....=C10765838

Martin

Lyn
Martin,
Thank you! I didn't have this info so very interesting, especially to have more confirmation re this family. I am related to Jane Browne, nee Moore, who was my GGG Grandmother. Her daughter, Sophia Browne, married my GG Grandfather, Samuel Behenna, and the two families eventually moved back to Plymouth and were very close.
Thanks again,

Lyn

crimea1854
Rosmary

I've now managed to fill the gap re George's service history. He was appointed to Tramore from Ballyvaughn on 3 October 1871.

If you do purchase his pension papers from the National Archives I would be very grateful if you could let me know if he served on either HMS Prince Regent or HMS Royal Albert during 1854/55 for my own research - either or both could confirm his entitlement to the Baltic and/or Crimea Medals, and fill a blank on my database.

Regards Martin

Lyn
Martin,

I have a little more info on the coastguard Francis Moore - the father of Jane Bond, formerly Browne, nee Moore. I came across a report from some Sessional Papers in the House of Lords where he had been asked to make a report about the weather off the north western coast of Ireland, and below is the information given about him -

Statement in Sessional Papers House of Lords
Chief Boatman, Coastguard, Galway, Ireland Francis Moore, Chief Boatman Coastguard, stationed South Island of Aran 13 years, Barna station 2 years, Ballyranghan (?? Ballyvaughan ) 11 years, Fairhill 1 year. 24 June 1852.

Best wishes,

Lyn

crimea1854
Lyn

Thanks for the information on Francis. I did try and trace his career in the hope that perhaps at one time he might have worked with a Townsend, and so Jane's grandfather, but without any luck.

Returning to Samuel Behenna, he also received the Indian General Service Medal with Pegu clasp for earlier service on HMS Winchester . Unlike the China Medal these were issued named, so it might still be out there somewhere.

Martin

xiaonvren
I already have some info from "family search" giving the 1863/4 marriages, and births of two of the Bond children from the later marriage, and also births of some of the Behenna children.
Lyn

Carol
Hello Lyn,
I am a volunteer in my local public library where I help people research their family history. I am currently helping a lady who is the GGG Granddauther of Jane Moore and John Browne. Their son, Robert, who is her GG Grandfather, was a Master Mariner and gave his address as Tramore Coastguard Station on his examination application form in the 1870.

I have only just discovered Jane's second marriage to George Bond in 1863 and this thread has been very informative.

We have been speculating about the death of John Browne, and if anyone has any more information, we would be very appreciative

with thanks

Carol
Carol Buxton

crimea1854
Carol

The service record for George Bond is now available via Ancestry and this confirms that he did serve on both HMS Prince Regent and HMS Royal Albert.

Martin

Jump to Forum: