View Thread

Print Thread
Fishermen
shikenu
I was interested to find this paragraph in an article on the site as it refers to my great-great-grandfather John Hamill who was drowned during the rescue attempt mentioned:-

"On 3 December 1863 the Providence, of Coleraine, was off Warren Point, Co Antrim, in a disabled state having lost spars, etc. While there, four coastguards and five fishermen went out to assist and succeeded in boarding her. After they had done this, a storm arose and the vessel drifted on shore and broke up. Three of the crew, two fishermen and Coastguard John Winter were drowned. Coastguards Henry Naunder, Daniel Hallahan and James Prout each received £2 and the widow of Winter was awarded £30 from the Board of Trade Mercantile Marine Fund, while fishermen Jacob Robb, James Martin and (another) James Martin received £2 each, with £30 going to the widow and three children of John Hamill. (Parliamentary Papers, 1864, Vol. 55, p. 484)."

Was it usual for fishermen to go out to help the coastguards? I was told by my grandmother that Daniel Hamill who was the brother of John, was on the Providence but I have never been able to verify that part of the story. I was also wondering what sort of boats they would have used?

willoughr
In researching and writing the paper you quote, I found quite a few cases of fishermen and coastguards collaborating in rescue work, though the general level of fraternizing would vary depending on local circumstances and the political climate. Others however may have more to comment on this one.

Regards

Roger
Roger Willoughby

Jump to Forum: