View Thread

Print Thread
Matthew Cain
Joanne
Hello, I am looking for information on my great great grandad who was a commissioned boat man statioed on Lambey Island. We know he was serving there in 1873 (as its on my great granmother (Emily) birth certificate. Mother is Sarah Cain (nee Willis) We also know that they lost a baby (william) whilst on the island, I think he was about a year old in 1871. The problem we have is that we can not find out anything else about the family. We drew a blank at Kew and don't know where else to look.

Do you know if there are any records of who served at Lambey Island and where they came from? or how long they served? Did they follow their fathers footsteps, did a son follow in Matthew's footsteps.

We came over to Dublin from London but could not even get onto Lambey Island to see where abouts the family lived. We would love to do that but again, can't see a way forward.

Can anyone help and give any clues to where else we can find some info.

Thanks
Jo

crimea1854
Hello Joanne and welcome to he Forum.

Matthew Cane joined the CG Service from HMS Houge on 9 September 1856, his first posting being to Malhide CGS. The Establishment Book for Malhide does correct the spelling of his name to Cain.

On 31 May 1863 he was transferred to Lambay Island, from here he was again transferred, on promotion to Commisioned Boatman, to Rush on the 1 December 1865. Only a short while latter he was back at Lambay Island on 13 July 1866.

From the records he certainly appears to have remained at this station at least to the mid/late 1870's.

One advantage of the later Establishment Books is that they provide a date and place of birth. Matthew gave his date of birth as 16 August 1827 in Gorey, Wexford. Using this information I checked the records of Seamans Service at the National Archives and found an entry for Matthew that will cover his service from 1873 till retirement.

http://www.nation...ultcount=2

To find out more about his earlier naval service you would have to consult the Ships Description Book for HMS Houge for 1856. This should provide a physical description, as well as a list of the previous ships he served on. However, one slight concern was that in a later record he gave his last ship as HMS Conway, so it might be worth checking both.

Regards

Martin

Tony
Hello Joanne
I have two Baptismal records of the Cain children:-

Henry Cain of Matthew and Sarah. Bapt. 27 July 1862. Born 30 June 1862. Coastguard at Malahide station. Malahide Parish Co.Dublin.

William Cain of Matthew and Sarah Miller. Born 8 October 1869. Commissioned Boatman at Lambay Island. Co.Dublin.

Burial Record:- 14 March 1871. William Cain. Child. 1 year 5 months,
Coastguards son. Lambay Island. Malahide. Co.Dublin.

Also for your information two Admiralty 'Navy List' Cain names.

Charles Cain. Seniority 3 November 1876. Chief Officer. 1877 on board the "Fly".
Samuel Cain. Seniority 18 Oct.1899. Second Mate, Cruiser. 1899/1903. on "Seamew" Tender to "Severn" at Harwich.
Maybe related?.

Charles Cain, Coastguard Boatman at Ballycastle station, Co.Mayo with five others received £1 each from the Mercantile Fund for bravery.
"The 'Brothers' was driving on a lee shore in Ballycastle Bay, when the Coastguard seeing her danger launched their lifeboat, and after great risk and difficulty succeeded in rescuing the crew.
Reference: Parliamentary Papers, 1867-1868. Vol.63. p.505.

Rathlin Island is private property. The island is accessible, by prior permission only, from Rogerstown Harbour. 4 km. from Rush.

The Navy did not encourage boys to stay on at stations after they reached 15. Many followed their fathers choice and joined the British Navy.
Regards
Tony

Joanne
Thank you so much for the information you have given me. I'm absolutely thrilled. Do you know if there would have been any pictures of photo's of Lambay at this time. Would I be able to find out if he was involved in any rescues?

Thanks once again.

Jo
[img][/img]Grin

GerardLawless
Hi Joanne
My wife is a direct descendant of Matthew Cain.
Matthew and Sarah gave birth to Elizabeth Jane Cain on 10th November 1863 on Lambay Island.
Elizabeth Jane Cain, My wifes' mother has the original baptism certificate and the original marriage certificate for Elizabeth. The church for the baptism was St Macuilin's Church, Lusk if this helps. It might intrigue you to know Elizabeth Married a John Francis Garrett who was a lighthouse keeper so I guess you could say she kept the coast guard tradition up some. I have only now begun to check out the family history so have been starting to trace back. If you have any questions or more family information - Please get in contact with me. My mother in Law was invited onto the island some years ago by the Barings family.

Mavis OConnell
My great grandfather Matthew Cain a mariner married Sarah Willis accoring to the statement on my grandfathers marriage certificate My grandfather was also Matthew Cain a mariner, he stated on his marriage certificate that he was born in Queenstown County Cork. he was married at Lyttleton New Zealand on the 24 Feb 1884 at the age 28 .Any help from other Matthew Cain and Sarah Willis researchers would be very much appreciated I have found a on the Family HistoryBeta website a Matthew Cane = to Sarah Willis at Dublin on the 28 Oct 1854 but do not on if is our Matthew The date is about the correct time Mavis ..Email MavisO@xtra.co.nz
Mavis Oconnell

John dunne
My great grandfather was Charles Cain a brother of Emily.Matthew was their father.Until recently I knew very little about the Cain side of my family.I'm deeply appreciative of the information on this site concerning my family history.

Joanne
Hello, I'm sorry I have been away from this site for such a long time but I am back researching my great, great, granddad, Matthew Cain (or Cane). Would anyone have any further information please. I would also love it if anyone else who is a direct descendant of Matthew and Sarah or any part of their family made contact through this site.

Many thanks
Jo

crimea1854
Hi Jo

I would have replied to your post earlier had I not been on holiday in Antigua.

Find my Past has the Merchant Seaman's Ticket for a Matthew Cain, born Askamore, Wexford. At the time the ticket was issued this man was serving on HMS Prince Regent. To establish if this is your man or not you would need sight of the list of ships that your Matthew served on from Houge's Description Book - see post 2 above.

Martin

Joanne
Martin, thank you so much. I will get on to this straight away. Hope you had a good holiday.

Jo
[img][/img]Grin

crimea1854
Jo

You may now have this information, but Ancestry have just added the Seamen's Certificates of Service that were compiled to determine if a man qualified for a pension. Among these is one for Matthew, which lists all his ships and the dates served, additionally his record shows the award of a Long Service & Good Conduct Medal on 25 July 1877.

Martin

Jump to Forum: