View Thread

Print Thread
Florence Sullivan (male) coastguard 1879
crimea1854
Alex welcome to the Forum.

There is a Richard Harrison that seems to fit your description. He first entered the Coastguard Service in 1835, being nominated from HMS Jupiter - a troop ship, and posted to Pegwell Bay (ADM 175/6 pdf 104). If you could visit the National Archives you might find out more about his early career from Jupiter's Muster and Allotment Books. Jupiter certainly visited Cork on a number of occasions to transport troops from Ireland to various postings.

On 11 April 1836 he was removed to Abbotsbury (175/6 - 384)
25 July 1836 to Barton (175/6 - 386)
23 Sept 1837 to Atherfield - this move was cancelled and he was sent to West Lulworth instead.
16 Aug 1839 to Lymington (175/6 - 389)
28 July to Chapman Pool/St Albans Head
Discharged Dead 4 Oct 1849 - Apoplexy. (175/7 - 360)

It was while at Lymington he worked with a James Neill, but later there are two men working together at the same Station, James Neill and a James McNeillie. Either or neither could be your man!

Unfortunately none of the above provides any additional family information, but it may give a geographic location where further clues may be found. However, I did manage to find his Seamen's Ticket (250,924), issued when he was working at St Albans. On this he gives his place as birth as at 'Sea' on 20 April 1806, with the following physical description 5' 8'' tall, lt brown hair, ruddy complexion and grey eyes, first went to sea as a boy in 1820, but he answers no to the previous naval service, which is a bit odd.

Martin
Edited by crimea1854 on 25/10/2013 08:41

alex
Hi Martin
Thanks for the info you have supplied. It helps to open the door a little more on our family history and I thank you for that. The Cork connection is a strong one, Richard Harrison's wife states on the 1851 census that she is a widow and comes from Bantry in Cork. Also there is a death registration for a Richard Harrison in Alvenstoke Hampshire 1849, there was a huge military presence here during the 19 century and I believe a naval hospital.

Alex

Merged on 13/11/2013 12:49:30:
Hi Martin
I was wondering if you could give your expert thoughts to a puzzle I have. Florence Sullivan served on HMS Hogue Crimean war where he received the Baltic Medal. His next vessel was HMS Magicienne where he is ranked as Captain of the Maintop and invalided out in 1860. On the web site www.pbenyon.plus.com/NAVAL.html under the heading Coast Guard and then the last line, Casualties Incurred, a Florence is listed on HMS Magicienne with the same rank but severley wounded at Peiho Forts China. I am certain this is the same fellow because later on, his coastguard papers record a scar to his right thigh. My puzzle is, would he have served in the coast guard at this time, or the Royal Navy? Also, it appear that Florence was not awarded the Second China medal for his service at this time? I think he was a very lucky fellow to survive a nasty wound so far from home and with the very basic medical care at that time.
Edited by alex on 13/11/2013 12:49

crimea1854
Hi Alex

If you refer back to post number #2 you will see that Florence was nominated to the CG Service from HMS Magicienne so he would have been serving in the RN during the 2nd China War, not the CG Service.

According to Kevin Asplin's Medal Roll Florence was invalided to HMS Assistance 26/07/1859 having been wounded at Peiho Forts on 25/06/1859. This roll has his CS No. as 19115, born Beerhaven, Cork, 1833.

Hope this helps answer your question.

Martin

alex
Hi Martin
Many thanks for your reply. It seems if I am reading it right, Florence may have been on HMS Vanguard when it was rammed by HMS Iron duke of the Irish coast 1875 all on board survived. Another ancestor whom I mentioned in an earlier post James McNeill it also seems that he was on HMS Transit which sunk in the far east abt 1857, he survived

Many thanks

smitha
Hi Alex,
I just found your posting from 24 Oct 2013 on the ‘Coastguards of Yesteryear’. I was the one who made the original post mentioning Thomas Sullivan that you found there but after making contact with Tony and seeing no more posts, I stopped checking for further responses probably just before you made yours in 2013. My apologies.
My mother-in-law was Norah Sullivan, who was Thomas Sullivan’s younger daughter from his second marriage to Lucy Brown. She was born in 1910 and died in 2000, age 90. I tried tracing her half-sisters for her before she died but ran into a brick wall. I assume your wife is descended from either Dorothy (Dolly) or Mary. My husband, Roger Smith, is Norah’s eldest son.
After all this time you have probably traced Florence’s and Thomas’s careers. Florence’s antecedents are unknown to me. There were 18 Florence Sullivans baptized in the Berehaven area in the right time to have been ‘our’ Florence. The date of birth on his naval records is obviously a fabricated one. I’ve some information on Mary Josephine, Thomas’s eldest sister, who emigrated to Australia about the same time that Florence retired to Birkenhead, and have met Tony, who is a descendant of Thomas’s youngest sister Catherine (Katy). Norah met her Aunt Mary in Australia; remembered Uncle Jerry (Jeremiah) from England during WWI, and her parents receiving letters from an Aunt Annie but she didn’t recall actually meeting any other of her Sullivan aunts and uncles. There were at least 10 in the family and possibly one or two more – there is a gap in the records just when you would expect another child (or possibly two).
I would love to hear from you and compare notes on the Sullivans.
Ann

Margaret Norris
I am a descendent of Flor Sullivan's daughter, Mary Josephine Hann who emigrated to Australia sometime in the late 1870/'s early 1880's.
On her marriage certificate to Charley Hann in Cooktown. Queensland on 4 December, 1884 she gives her age as 23 years, occupation as domestic servant, her father as Flor Sullivan, Coast Guard and mother as Ellen Walsh. The marriage certificate gives her birth as Kent England. Later records (her death certificate 9/1/1942) give her birth place as Queenstown, Ireland, and on another document Kingston, Ireland.

Charley Hann and Mary Josephine lived in the Croydon goldfields, far north Queensland. They had 5 children: William Charles 23/6/1886, Mary Veronica 23/10/1889 (my great grandmother) Thomas Joseph 21/12/1890, Margaret Ellen 10/11/1894, Jane Charlotte 4/5/1898.

Charley died in 1914 in Atherton Queensland and Mary Josephine moved to Surrey Hills, Sydney NSW with her unmarried children to be near her eldest daughter Veronica.

She lived in Sydney with her family until her death in 1942.

I would be pleased to hear from anyone who may have further information on the descendants of Flor Sullivan or Ellen Walsh. Margaret

Margaret Norris
I am a descendent of Flor Sullivan's daughter, Mary Josephine Hann who emigrated to Australia sometime in the late 1870/'s early 1880's.
On her marriage certificate to Charley Hann in Cooktown. Queensland on 4 December, 1884 she gives her age as 23 years, occupation as domestic servant, her father as Flor Sullivan, Coast Guard and mother as Ellen Walsh. The marriage certificate gives her birth as Kent England. Later records (her death certificate 9/1/1942) give her birth place as Queenstown, Ireland, and on another document Kingston, Ireland.

Charley Hann and Mary Josephine lived in the Croydon goldfields, far north Queensland. They had 5 children: William Charles 23/6/1886, Mary Veronica 23/10/1889 (my great grandmother) Thomas Joseph 21/12/1890, Margaret Ellen 10/11/1894, Jane Charlotte 4/5/1898.

Charley died in 1914 in Atherton Queensland and Mary Josephine moved to Surrey Hills, Sydney NSW with her unmarried children to be near her eldest daughter Veronica.

She lived in Sydney with her family until her death in 1942.

I would be pleased to hear from anyone who may have further information on the descendants of Flor Sullivan or Ellen Walsh. Margaret

Jump to Forum: