View Thread

Print Thread
RNLI award to Lt.Autridge
wreckmaster
RNLI award to Lt.Autridge
I am looking for information on the above Lt.Autridge rescued the crew of the Cyclops at Mutton Island on the Clare Coast 1831 .
Edited by wreckmaster on 28/12/2008 17:56
Mick

Tony
Mick,
Here is our information on the sinking of the "Cyclops" in 1831.
Ship News. Among the other marine casualities so general this month, we have to announce that the Cyclops brig, from Quebec to this port, with a cargo of timber for Francis Speight Esq. was seen off Dunbeg, on the Co.Clare coast on last Wednesday morning at daylight, by Lt. C. Autridge RN Chief Officer of the Coastguard on that station. She was driving at the mercy of the wind and waves, quite water-logged, her foremast and bowsprit quite gone, decks stove in, and indeed a mere wreck. Lt.Autridge instantly pulled towards her in his gig, and succeeded with great difficulty in getting aboard, when he was fortunate enough to rescue the mate, 6 men, and 2 boys, part of her crew, then in a state of the lowest exhaustion having been for 3 days without any provisions. The mate, Jonathan Crosby, was scarce able to inform Lt.Autridge that the master, Cockran, was washed overboard on the 18th.inst. and that the carpenter died of fatigue and hardship the same night. The survivors have been landed, and the 2 boys continue very ill, their legs and feet so swollen as to incapacitate them for moving some days yet. Lt.Autridge is using every exertion to get the vessel into Dunbeg, and save her cargo but this is difficult, as her 2 chain cables are hanging overboard at the forecastle and bows with the anchors attached and the sea rolls on a level with her gunnel. (Report Limerick Herald)

Reference; The Evening Freeman.Tuesday 27th.December 1831. p.4.

R.N.L.I. Award. Charles Autridge, Lt. Coastguard. Doonbeg. Silver Medal 25 January 1832. 21 December 1831. In strong westerly winds and a heavy sea running the Whitehaven brig ‘Cyclops’ was discovered at daybreak ashore at Doonbeg, Co.Clare with her foremast and bowsprit gone, apparently waterlogged and her crew in the rigging. Lt. Autridge launched his gig with a crew of five Coastguardsmen and pulled for three hours before he succeeded in reaching the brig which he found to be a complete wreck with the sea making a complete breach over her. At the third attempt during a lull in the weather, he pulled alongside and took off seven men and two boys. The Master had been washed ashore and the Carpenter died in the rigging.

Reference; Lifeboat Gallantry by Barry Cox. . ------------------------
Tony

wreckmaster
Thanks Tony
I all ready had the News Report from the Freemans Journal on my site ,
I am interested in the award to Lt . Autridge thanks again
Mick

willoughr
Hi Mick,

I may be able to help a little with this as I'm in the process of writing a book on irish lifesaving. As far as I can tell, his medal has not appeared on the collectors market, though it may survive in family or other hands. Have you any information on its location?

Details on Autridge himself are given in O'Byrne (1849, p. 29 and 1372).

best

Roger
Roger Willoughby

willoughr
Further to my last note, the RNLI silver medal to Lt Autridge turned up in a medal auction in London in September 2010.
Roger Willoughby

Jump to Forum: