View Thread

Print Thread
james lewis
lewisp38
I am trying to find out where my greatgrandfather james spent his time in Ireland as a coastguard,he had a daughter born in Ireland in 1880/81,but I have looked at a number of sites and they have her born at westmeath,carlingford and omeath.I know that he was back in cornwall by 1885 because a son was born in ST Keverene ,where in 1891 he was awarded a medal by the board of trade for his part in saving lives in the shipwreck of the bay of panama which happened on the 10 march 1891 at narre point in cornwall

crimea1854
Hi

If you know where and when your Ggrandfather was born it should be possible to find his service record online at the National Archives website. This should provide details as to where he was stationed. If you do visit the NA website, the 'Date' column on the search results is the date of birth given at the time of enlistment, and is not always accurate.

The other option, if this is unsuccesful, is to try and trace him using the ADM 175 records at the NA. These currently can be searched and downloaded for FREE, although because the files are so large I have been singularly unlucky in saving these pdf files. For an explanation of this series of documents see elsewhere on this site.

Hope this has provided some leads.

Regards

Martin

Tony
Hi James,
All I have concerning a James Lewis are two Baptismal records for two children born to James and Annie Lewis in Ireland in 1895 and 1898.
The dates do not fit with your James Lewis service details.
Regards
Tony

lewisp38
thanks for your help in this matter,I shall try to look at the records

Jump to Forum: