View Thread

Print Thread
Rodger Lydon
sheila
Hello,

I am looking for my Great Grandfather Rodger Lydon Born in Galway in 1841. He was in the Royal Nany until 1879 when he was pensioned off. He then turns up in Birkenhead Liverpool in 1881 when my grandmother was born and he is on her birth certificate as a customers officer but in 1902 he is on her marriage certificate as coastguards man. I suspect given his experience in the Navy as an AB seaman he is more likely to have been in the waterguard than in customs as such. There is no record of him after 1881 other than the reference on the marriage certificate of his daughter. His daughter ended up living in Barrow in Furness and on the census of 1911 his wife Bridget (who is also living in Barrow) is recorded as being married. However I have no idea which port he was stationed at and I can find no record of him as a Coastguards Officer. Is there anyone who could point me in the right direction.

crimea1854
Sheila welcome to the Forum.

I've looked at his ADM 188 Navy service record on 'Ancestry' and this has him as a CG from Jan 1873 until April 1879, with a range of postings - Ross, Barna, Rachley, Ross, Tribane and Arreen(?). After this there is a gap until Oct 1891 - Nov 1891 when he enters the Navy as an AB (Pensioner) at HMS Pembroke. Unfortunately there is no clue as to what he was doing in the intervening years. There is however, a note dated Oct 1891 suggesting that if he was still fit enough he could work in the 'Steam Reserve'.

Martin

sheila
Thank you so much Martin. I only looked at this today as I had really given up hope of finding any reference to Rodger Lydon anywhere. I now understand a little more and I can concentrated on the missing years. I'm off to the National Archives in a few weeks do you think the will have information about steam reservists there?

Sheila

Merged on 09/05/2016 07:53:31:
H, again Martin, I have had a look on Ancestry at his ADM record but I cannot find the list of his posting that you appear to have found. Can you please tell me how I find out where he was posted and the dates of his postings

Many thanks Sheila
Edited by sheila on 09/05/2016 07:53

crimea1854
Sheila

If you look at his service record in ADM 188 (service no.78440) you will see that he is shown on the muster books for HMS Valiant then under this are ditto marks and to the right a name, this is the CG Station. Against each of these entries is a 'rates' column, then dates served columns 'From' 'To'.

Martin

sheila
THANK YOU AGAIN,

After searching in vain for Rodger lydon for a long time. I finally feel I am getting somewhere.

Sheila

Jump to Forum: