View Thread

Print Thread
WILLIAM HENRY HARRIS b1835 CORNWALL
elizabethjones18
My G/G Grandfather William H Harris was born in Cornwall 1835 and was a coastguard in C Galway were he met my GG Grandmother Mary? I don't know which year he moved to Ireland or why. He is recorded as 'Coastguard Pensioner'at his daughter Laura's wedding in1880 so only 45.Died in C Galway in 1888.I have searched endlessly for birth and marriage certs and cannot find him (so far)on any Census for that period.Any ideas from some clever Geneaoligy member would be so wellcome.Elizabeth.

Tony
Hello Elizabeth,
I found a few items for you.
Church of Ireland Records
Baptiamal Records.
Harris, Mary Fanny Honora of William and Mary. Bapt. 21 July 1861. Born 12 July 1861. Father Coastguard at Costello Bay. Parish Killanin. Co.Galway.
Harris, Elizabeth Anne of William and Mary Bapt. 11 July 1862. Born 9 July 1862. Father Coastguard at Costello Bay. Parish Killanin. Co.Galway.
Harris, Laura Bertha Matilda of William Henry and Mary. Bapt. 27 January 1864. Born 11 January 1864. Father Coastguard at Costello Bay Parish Killanin. Co.Galway.
Harris, John Charles of William Henry and Mary. Bapt. 9 November 1865. Born 14 October 1865. Father Coastguard at Costello Bay. Parish Killanin. Co.Galway.
Harris, Emily Florence of William Henry and Mary Anne. Bapt. 11 August 1867. Born 13 July 1867. Father Coastguard at Costello Bay. Parish Killanin. Co.Galway.

Marriage.
September 9 1885. Patrick O’Driscoll. 37. Bach. of Killanin. Sergeant in R.I.C. Father Farmer. TO. Emily Flo Harris 19. Spinster. of Omey. Father William Harris. Coastguard Parish Omey. County Galway.

The R.I.C. in above refers to the Royal Irish Constabulary.
The Piblic Records Office in Dublin has Birth, Marriages and Death Registers starting from 1864. Ch.of Irl Marriage Registers start at 1842.
There would be no particular reason for William's posting to Ireland Coastguards were posted to any vacancy that came up in any part of (in those days) the United Kingdom.
Some of the 1841 onwards Census Records were destroyed for political reasons in Ireland by the Government, many more were lost in a large fire in Dublin in 1922.
Regards
Tony

macdiarmada1974
This might be of interest to you::

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=540735796033819&set=pcb.540735936033805&type=1&theater

Leslie Thompson
Thank you for the information. I am sure that Rebecca and Mary were children of William and Mary (nee. Real).

Regards,
Leslie

Jump to Forum: