The older B/W photograph, taken c.1905, shows, on left of photo, the older Coastguard buildings dating from 1816. The new station at the rear was built was taken over by the Coastguards on 1st May 1907.
The original Coastguard station was built in 1893 and one hundred years later the old station can still be identified as it undergoes its new transformation.
Dirk Cove Restoration
Dirk Cove means Dagger Cove in Gaelic. Galley Head Lighthouse is one of a chain of beacons built to protect shipping along the rock-bound, stormy Atlantic coast of Ireland.
Officers house contains, parlour, living-room, kitchen and 2 bedrooms over. Five cottages of five rooms each.
The station built in 1876 was occupied by British Coastguards until 1921. After the outbreak of Civil War in 1922 the vacant building was taken over for the billeting of troops by the new Irish Free State.
Tramore Coastguard Station
Originally erected by the Office of Public Works in 1874, the landmark building - which was devastated by fire in October 2000 - has been completely refurbished, modified and extended by the OPW...